SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larryw_gw

z6 Ohio Update

larryw
16 years ago

Been very busy of late just "putting the rubber on the road"

so haven't posted for several weeks. I have 48 tomatoes in here at the lake in east/central Ohio, and 8 more back in PA.

About 45 varieties, mostly heirlooms. Looks to be shaping up as a good garden year. Good rainfall, not much desease so

far, couple wind/rain storms survived without damage, and

plants well on track for a 4th of July yield! Looks like everything in the garden is doing very well but the broccoli has been fantastic.

If I had to bet I'd say one of the following will be the first to ripen one up, the most likely listed first:

Early Cascade 58-I-RL

Early Girl 55-I-RL

County Agent 65-I-PL

Pruden's Purple80-I-PL Yep! Unbelievable!

Meanwhile, Ultimate Opener advertised at 57-I-RL grows luxurious leaves and stems but has only managed to set one

5/8 inch dia greenie while Fireworks advertised at 60-I-RL

languishes with no fruit set and only 3 or 4 sickly looking

blossoms.

A whole bunch of the earlier heirlooms are doing very well

and will offer fruit by mid July. I'm doing a pretty good test of black varieties this year. Early results can be

misleading but so far Black Plum and Nyagous have set the most and the most regular shaped fruits. Large Black Pear

is looking pretty good also but Black Krim and Cherokee Purple seem only to set irregular fruit/heavily creased or

catfaced. Japanese Trifoil (spelling?) has yet to set fruit.

I have been alternating Daconil with Mancozeb and have excellent control at this point. Now will back off for a couple weeks anyway untill I see some beginning signs of

leaf distress. I don't like to use pesticides in my garden but it's either "Use it or lose it".

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm