SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slone07

I Have Worms!!

Slone07
15 years ago

Never thought I'd say THAT to a bunch of strangers!

I moved to the middle of TX last year from AK and had to learn a whole new way of gardening. Yeah, apparently, there's "wetlands, slick as snot, clay" and "baked concrete, trade your shovel in for a jackhammer, clay." I just knew I was doomed when my peonies fried in the shade (thought I'd trick mother nature, well, she sure showed me). It was further imprinted on me when everything else I bought fried in the shade, as well.

I got the lawn going really well, though! It went from flatlined to lush and vibrant in two weeks flat. What was equally rewarding was the perception of competition I got from my neighbor, who only just today nodded and smiled in approval (again...this is perception! It could be his new game face!) as I turned on my sprinkler for the first time this spring. (His lawn, by the way, has a nice head start.)

Last year, I also managed to not kill the beautiful anonymous hedge out front or the ever-growing English Ivy covering our chimney that I mistakenly fertilized into a growing frenzy. Our chimney, by the way, now looks like a green lolipop on a green stick. (Hey! I couldn't get this stuff to grow in a basket INDOORS with decent lighting in Alaska!)

And through all of this growing and digging and poking and prodding (and taking out of the trash containing burnt to bits flowers), I saw not a single worm. Well, today, over a year later, a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I saw worms. Not one, but TWO! Maybe three, but it could have been wishful thinking (or I split it in half). And much to my surprise, they weren't wearing hardhats and carrying little rock piks.

Now that I know life can survive underground without my aide, I have a glimmer of hope that the 17 rose bushes I just ordered will survive. That is, of course, if I can find a jackhammer to get them into the ground with.

I've read on this site for years and figured it was about time you heard from someone who probably knows a whole lot more about you than you know of her. ;)

Have a great weekend!

Comments (12)