SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smeelissa

yellow fungus or mould

smeelissa
16 years ago

Hello, this is my first post but I have been reading posts in this forum for a couple of months now. I have set up a small worm bin using worms from another bin I have had going for about 6 months. I added about 300-400 worms to the new bin, and a bunch of eggs too.

After about a month, I am seeing a yellow fungus type growth on the lid, which is typically quite damp due to condensation. This growth looks almost rubbery. I left the lid open for a couple of hours and now a few days later I can see that a part of it is dried up, has turned a reddish brown, and is stinky sort of like rotten meat (yuck!).

We don't add many food scraps to the new bin as of yet; we are waiting for the population to increase. I don't think it is a problem of adding too much food.

The bedding material is a 50/50 mix of shredded newspaper and peat moss. The top 2-3 inches is damp shredded newspaper, under which we place food scraps.

I have a pretty good picture of this strange growth, but I can't see a way to post pics here....is there a way?

Has anyone else seen anything like this based on my description?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21