SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgthumb_gw

Got 4 San marzanos growing

bgthumb
10 years ago

I'm using promix ultimate organic(green label) soil.Will try to get better pics as the grow goes.I'm a noob lol.My first tomato grow.its been smooth sailing.....well mostly.Few days ago I ran into a pest problem.
First it was my broccoli,had the small cabbage green catapillars.Pretty much turned into a infestation,I said screw it & tossed the broccoli with the soil into a bon fire.It was so bad,no way to save.Somehow my tomatoes were practally untounched by them,a leaf or two had small cuts,but nothing major.

Then I started getting aphids on my tomato plants I believe.What is weird is they keep going after one really hard & leave the other 3 alone pretty much.

I made a mixture of 2 spanish yellow onions,4 bulbs of garlic,2TBS cayyene pepper & put them in a blender.Poured it in a gallon jug,filled it up with water & let it set overnight.I strained it off good & sprayed all plants down really good.I only done one application so far but it seems to be working.I put the leftover pulp on the soil & topped promix with a light dressing of worm castings.The leaves look like they are a bit low on nitrogen,good green color but lighter then they should be I believe.

Aphids are still around but its MUCH less then what their was.Hopefully it stays like this :) .I got a feeling this is something practically unavoidable.I am thinking about making a stronger mix(more garlic).

The lower leafs curl up(almost closed) in the lowest branches.Their is a few brown spots on them.Can't tell if its just from aphids or diease/fugus.I seen small patches of purple like dots along the mainstem,very small areas.

I pulled off suckers,but left some on 3 of the 4 plants.Because some are packing good clusters of flowers.They aren't tall,2-2.5ft i'd say.Need to get something to support the branches soon.Please don't laugh but I'm growing these on a table in pots.Ill figure out some way to support them.I will updat as they grow & fruit & will post any probems here if thats ok with the mods.

Might try to borrow my stepmom's cam,much better than my crappy cell cam.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County