SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blubutterfly323

Feeding the wormies..something different

BluButterfly323
9 years ago

I have been mama to my little "Freds" (can't forget since they all have the same name) for almost a year now. What a great experience. Once I learned the specifics on tried and true successful "worming" (as my little friend Estelle calls it) I had to step out and see what the "Freds" would like from time to time. I can't get worm food locally and refuse to pay what the sharks want to charge online. I found my boys/girls hate spaghetti, love waffles with syrup and go crazy when I give them "chick starter". The chick starter (or mash) comes from a local feed store and is hormone and chemical free. That last part is critical, since those additives can wipe out your worm family. It is important to be mindful of protein levels. Too much protein is toxic to the worms. So, with that said, here is my recipe: Once or twice a week I mix 50:50 oatmeal and chick starter with water. (and they do love the oatmeal). Once everything has absorbed the water I run it through my Nutri-Bullet. It comes out soupy and smooth. Into the bins goes the "soup", and then I get out of the way because the worms come crawling....FAST! I noted my worms were getting plumper, more active and making baby worms like crazy. Every time I turned around BAM...a new batch of babies. Chick starter is cheap, like .49 a pound here for me. I would love to hear if anyone else has tried something like this.

Happy "Worming"

Comments (23)