SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riveraquarian

slater army invades worm farm in old bathtub.. yikes

riveraquarian
18 years ago

Please help me with a problem of an army of slaters in my bathtub worm farm. Slaters are small bugs with a hard armour like shell on their bodies and little legs which help them run fast but not fast enough as they like all the food I supply them. I'm an organic grower so any methods would have to be environmentally sound. I'd love to hear any feed back. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• trancegemini_wa
    18 years ago

slaters infiltrated my bin when I used some compost once for bedding and they were hiding in it, theyre still in there and as far as I can tell theyre not causing any problems for the worms.

just for any one who might be wondering, slaters are the same as what some people here know as rolly polly bugs or pill bugs

• jean001
    18 years ago

Ummm. Crabby note here.

So far, I've seen 5 of your posts in 5 different forums, all with the same question. Such repetition isn't needed.

Crabby mode off.

Beyond that, hereabouts, the things are called sowbugs. On the other hand, roly polys -- pillbugs -- are close relatives which roll into a ball when disturbed.

• bendback50
    18 years ago

Well,
    I'm glad we got that cleared up! wanted to post a response last night but I wasn't sure what slaters were = kinda thought they were pill bugs/sow bigs but I hate to open my mouth and stick my foot in = hate the taste of toe jam!!

bruce

• trancegemini_wa
    18 years ago

lol bruce, we call them slaters because of their slate grey colour, but they do roll up into a ball so they would be very close to the pill bugs

• bendback50
    18 years ago

Hey,

This is just a thought but I figgered I'd share it anyway!
    Some folks use a propane torch to burn off an over abundance of mites. Never tried it myself - I have other methods.

As I understand it - the bin is wet down to drive the worms lower into the bedding and then quickly, a propane torch is used to "scorch" the surface; thus killing off the mites for awhile.

Drawbacks would seem to be:1, cooking any worms that didn't go deeply enough - 2, cooking young worms and/or cocoons - 3, getting carried away and burning up your bin!!

I've read that sow bugs won't hurt the bin or worms but will compete for the feedstock.

A search for "Happy D Ranch" might give you some insight about the "slaters" and whether or not you should be concerned.

bruce

• Kelly_Slocum
    18 years ago

I've read the statement that sow bugs/pill bugs/rolly pollies/slaters compete with the worms too, but you can add that to your list of internet myths badly in need burial, but with the unfortunate gift of apparent immortality. There are NO invertebrates that compete with the worms in a worm bin, because the worms will ingest the manure of all of these organisms as a nutrition source. Let's say this again, all together; there... are... no... invertebrates... that... compete... with... the... worms... in... the... bin! Now, commit that phrase to memory and smack anyone who suggests otherwise, and we may find more folks willing to try vermicomposting and not fearing the critters they see crawling through the system!

Ok, in all seriousness, sow bugs/pill bugs/rolly pollies/slaters are omnivores whose preferred food source is some of the toughest organic materials in the bin; stuff that is very lignous or high in cellulose, which is difficult for most of the other organisms, both micro and macro, to break down. Their powerful mouth parts are able to bite and chew these tough materials, and their digestive enzymes break them down, fragmenting them so they can be ingested and stabilized by the worms once they pass outof the sow bugs/pill bugs/rolly pollies/slaters as poop. This is the good side of these guys. It needs to be understood, however, that when castings containing sow bugs/pill bugs/rolly pollies/slaters are introduced to closed environments like greehouses where their preferred OM food sources are in short supply, they will begin feeding on tender plant shoots. It is this aspect of their behavior that has led some to have concerns, and it is people erroneously applying these concerns to environments where sow bugs/pill bugs/rolly pollies/slaters are not a problem that has created concern about finding them in the worm bin.

So, bottom line, sow bugs/pill bugs/rolly pollies/slaters are wonderful in the bin and we love them. They are fine if they remain in the castings when they are applied to the outdoor garden, but if the castings are to be applied to plant starts or seed start mix in a greenhouse consider freezing the castings for several days before use to eliminate any potential sow bugs/pill bugs/rolly pollies/slaters problems.

There, now wasn't that easy? ::grin::

Kelly S

• bendback50
    18 years ago

Gosh, it's good you're back in town!

bruce

• sqh1
    18 years ago

I am so happy to see KSlocum's postings. For all "newbies/lurkers", read her postings. I cannot tell you that what she says is gospel. I can say that I have her postings saved all over my computer for the last 4 years. She is calming, balanced, informed, and helps make the whole science lesson way more fun! Thank you Kelly.

• bendback50
    18 years ago

Hey SQH1,

I have a confession to make, too.

I print out her responses / posts; add holes with a hole punch and put 'em in a binder for reference mat'l !!

My wife, even tho she thinks I'm crazy, bless her heart, saves veg. scraps and egg shells for the worms and this morning watched as I "checked in on them". Her interest / curosity has certainly been piqued since she found my "Kelly Slocum" notebook!! Just had a little explaining to do!!

Anyway, Kelly, if you're ghosting, I hope you don't mind me printing out your responses. Not too many people with your background and knowledge are willing to share.

Thank you for being you

bruce

• Kelly_Slocum
    18 years ago

Wow, folks! I'm going to have trouble fitting my head through the door if you're not careful! ::grin::

Thank you, though. I am delighted that you find my posts helpful and, like all of you, I thoroughly enjoy talking on these subjects.

Bruce, you should feel free to print out and use any post I make how ever you see fit. I only ask that, if you distribute them, that you not edit or change them, and that you credit me as the author.

Again, thank you all of your kind remarks. It was nice to read first thing this morning!

Kelly S

• onafixedincome
    18 years ago

You guys have a problem. I'd call you 'all wet' but in my bins, an abundance of sowbugs means that your bin is DRY! The wetter it is, the fewer of them I find. They seem to enjoy hard, caked material for gatherings/nesting, but don't like much water.

Try watering them out over a couple of weeks; just keep a pitchfork handy to loosen/aerate your bed as you go by.

PA