SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bltlover

paley method results - euros in a bucket of dirt

bltlover
9 years ago

Hey all, hope everything is going well. Everything seems to be going well with my euros. I posted back in February when I got them and ended up just using plastic bins instead of a FT system. I have been feeding rather slowly of late because I plan to harvest them soon and redo the bins for the first time. I had planned to do something sooner but it has been so busy.

At that time I read a webpage by Bryan Paley and considered using that method to try raise "mini adult" euros. I did end up trying three test buckets of dirt. I planned to document it well, but apparently I used that particular paper towel with my notes to blow my nose or something...but as I recall I started soon after that post. Call it March 1.

On March 1 I made three experimental buckets, drawing euros from three different bins.
Prep:
Bucket#2 (worms drawn from bin#2) is a plastic 5 quart ice cream dish. Almost surely vanilla. I added drain holes in bottom on one side and large air holes on top. Filled with half garden soil (fun to dig in Feb!) and half chopped vegetable scraps. Added 25 euros. Kept moist.

Bucket #A (stock drawn from large bin), same as above.

Bucket #1 an old plastic diaper pail, approx 3 gallons, a few holes drilled in bottom for drainage, large holes drilled in lid for air. Filled about halfway. Ran out of food scraps so I complemented with some old dry dog food. Added 30 euros. Kept moist.

After about a week or so I brought the three test buckets upstairs because it was down around 50F downstairs. I thought a little warmer would be better. We keep the upstairs around 62 or 64F during winter. Big mistake on my part...they warmed up too quickly and one of the bins had the worms on the surface within a few days. I took them back downstairs and dumped them out, but it was too late for Bucket A. One lone survivor there, struggling to lay an egg. The egg was almost out...I got the camera and shot video for a few minutes hoping to capture it but that worm must have had stagefright. I decided to leave it in there. I didn't see any other eggs but I didn't look very hard. Bucket #1 and #2 were okay, all accounted for. Whatever food I had added to Bucket #A must have been wrong. Good thing I wrote it down on that paper towel!

For the next 3-1/2 months I did nothing but water the dirt... when I remembered. Maybe 10 sprays every week or two, only on the side of the bucket that I had holes on, hoping to give an option for the worms to choose wet or dry. Temps went from 50-52, then up around 55 when near oil burner, and finally up to 80F when it got hot and I still had them near the oil burner. Now it is back to 72-73F, using the concrete floor as a heat sink. All that time, when I would open the buckets to spray, I'd see movement from the worms. After just a few weeks, mushrooms/fungi started growing like crazy, and that lasted maybe a month or more. When the basement warmed up, that finally abated.

On June 17th I examined Bucket#1, the diaper pail. It took about 6 hours. Seriously. The entire bin was balls of wet dirt. The dirt near the bottom was very sludgy. At the top it was drier but still very damp. I went bit by bit, clump by clump, and tried to unearth everything I could find.

As I initially dumped the bin, I had to scrape the bottom out as carefully as I could. There were worms of all sizes and many eggs. I decided to segregate full size worms from anything substantially smaller than the breeding stock I began with. The eggs went with the small worms.

As it turns out, every full grown euro with which I seeded the bucket was still alive. Very big and seemed very robust and healthy. I did not have them tagged or anything, but I am quite sure these are the same I started with, just a little fatter. I knew all along there were some adults left because I could see them shift the surface dirt every time I sprayed, but am amazed they ALL seem to have made it. There are some other worms that are sort of near regular size, but nothing is near as large as any of the breeding stock I put in.

In addition to those 30 full size worms, there were 265 worms ranging from tiny to smallish. Some were clearly adult worms, just much smaller than the stocked worms. The last sort I went back through the now very small pieces of dirt and turned up another 101 tiny worms. Additionally, I tallied 701 eggs. About 2/3 were green, 1/3 brown. I assume the brown ones are soon to hatch.

I happened upon one set of worms that I am pretty sure were coupling. They were very skinny and small..maybe 1 mm in diameter. I got some pics of them but did not get the coupling on camera I want to check and see if they look like viable adults. Pretty sure one had a band as it crawled away. If not they fooled me pretty well - they were stuck together for a good ten seconds while I reached for the camera and tried to start it without getting it dirty.

That 701 number on the eggs is a minimum. Some of the eggs were full size, but a lot seemed smaller than the regular worm bin worms. Some, maybe 5%, were very tiny. They looked like normal, just smaller. I could very easily have missed another 10%, maybe 20%. That goes for tiny worms, too.

All told, from the 30 healthy euros and 3-1/2 months time, I counted:
30 healthy full size
265 small to tiny
101 tiny to hatchling
701 eggs

I have not looked into the reproduction rate of euros - I know it is often called slow in comparison to red wrigglers - so perhaps someone familiar with it can chime in with the math. Some of the small worms have to be breeding. There is no way the 30 full sized euros could account for all of that directly.

The Bucket#1 worms are all sequestered now. I think I will split half off into a rich manure bin and see if they really grow to full size in 3 weeks, with the remainder back into dirt. I really don't plan to spend 6 hours counting worm fry ever again, but I have to say I think there is something to this size modification. Bucket A is almost surely a loss, but Bucket #2 has many adults just under the surface, the same as Bucket #1 had. I expect similar results from that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: mirror of paley's webpage

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!