SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skitter_gw

Dumb move . . . can I salvage it?

skitter
17 years ago

Allrighty, I hope I'm not duplicating any previous posts (I searched, but didn't find anything specific).

So, Hub and I have spent the last month or so getting our front flower beds ready, bit by bit. We pulled up some old shrubs, put in new, edging, etc. The beds were pretty badly neglected/abused by the previous owners, so they were full of weeds and some bermuda grass creeping in. And stumps that we haven't managed to get out yet. Oh, and clay soil so packed down that I can barely even rough it up.

Anyway, in my excitement last week to get this thing going, I bought 10 cubic feet of soil blend (soil, compost, sand) and dumped it on top, thinking I could build up the beds this way and maybe plant some stuff this weekend. (I have irises and cannas and daylilies to plant, in addition to some nice annuals)

Now less than a week later I have nice soil in the flower beds, with weeds and grass already starting to poke through. Grrrr.

Is it maybe possible to scrape up the nice soil and lay down some wet cardboard, then put the soil back and still be able to plant this spring? I've seen where people use cardboard for the base of their lasagna gardens, but I didn't see any posts in which anyone piled soil on top.

Please help! This beginning gardener (how obvious is that?) needs some advice!

Comments (14)