SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kkelley_gw

Little buggers are defecting...

kkelley
16 years ago

Checked the Can O' Worms yesterday and found a wad of worms (alive) floating in the little bowl that catches the leachate.

So, for the first time in the year that I've had this worm thing going, I checked the bottom of the can that catches the leachate. Sure enough, there was a thick layer of worm poop down there, and a pretty significant number of worms.

Hmmm. Maybe that is why the level of castings in the first tray had been slowly sinking...?

The stuff in the bottom was really mucky wet, due to my trying to keep the worms cool this summer. I laid several layers of newspaper on top in a way that would hold water, and poured some water in so it would slowly leak through the paper, theoretically keeping them cool. Well, I figured out that probably wasn't a great idea and quit.

The first level looks okay, and I have been feeding in the second tray for a couple of months. I have lots of babies but the bigger worms seemed to be the ones that went down into the bottom of the can.

BTW, we had a run of 100 degree days here in N FL recently. The can is outside, in the shade.

1. Would the heat cause the worms to go down as far as they can?

2. About a month ago I started getting a lot of army fly grubs. I am used to them being in the compost, but not in my worm bin. Should I be concerned? Get them out?

3. The literature says it takes about a year for a can to be fully operational. It has been a year, and I'm just getting started on the second tray. I started with a yogurt cup full of very small worms. Normal?

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Comments (5)