SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjt2005

just joined

jjt2005
13 years ago

i finally joined as a member but i've been reading for years. i really enjoy looking at the pictures people provide. i think that's where i get some of the best ideas and it also gives me something else to look at. sort of like reading a favorite magazine. i'm hoping to post some of my pictures and to chat from time to time with like minded gardeners. this is my first year with a decent size garden and as you see, tomatoes are my favorite.

sowed seeds on march 15th. mortgage lifters and black krims. had some donated lemon boys sowed around the same time.

tilled on march 29th and turned in compost.

trying some forms of weed control. one row with some left over plastic from the brick work on my house and some standard row covers from big box. i ran out so i just left a couple rows bare to compare. the porous row covers are worth the buy imo.

i wanted some early tomatoes so i planted some cheaters. four better boys and four big beefs along the fence.

i planted early, april 4th, and young but that didn't seem to be a big deal. once in the ground they took off. i think it had something to do with the ammended soil.

things have progressed. this was taken on may 23rd.

this fella was a surprise. i ended up with three ugo's(unidentified growing objects). this potato leaf grew out of my black krim seeds. there are two sets on it and the little mater's do look black krimish. my neighbor had the same thing happen with some seeds i shared with her from the pack.

mortgage lifter demonstrating a health case of leaf curl. it sure doesn't affect production. it has it's fair share of sets. went out today and it was looking more normal.

remeber those four better boys and four big beefs. hybids do have their place. been eating on them the past three nights. they are ok. much better than store bought.

it's good to have neighbors who own some pj's coffee houses. also had a bare spot so i stuck some bananna peppers and a couple of creole tomatoes there. my mom brought them to me cause she figured i needed some more plants. i have 19 black krims, 24 mortgage lifters 4 better boys, 4 big beefs, 3 lemon boys, 5 creoles, and 3 ugo's. i like mater's.

plenty of white squash coming in. my wife said i had to have these. they are great sauted in olive oil, sprig of fresh rosemary on the side, and cooked till they caramelize on each side. excellent and easy.

these acorn squash came out of the white squash seed pack. never had them before but they are now a family favorite. cooked the same way as the white squash they are amazing.

got hundreds of these guys. first ones came in the same day as the first tomatoes.

the best gardening partner ever. it's after school and hot out, but first thing to do is see whats ready for the day. all the hard work paying off. thanks for looking. i hope to participate in some good chat about gardening. i've been around a while watching so i know what's going on around here.

Comments (6)