SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mutantplantlover

Well, Now I'm a Believer!

mutantplantlover
13 years ago

I have read for many years about using a file to nick MG seeds and soaking in water before planting, but never bothered. I guess I just didn't think it would make a difference. So I'd just plant them under lights in early Spring directly into 6-packs and wait patiently until they sprouted. Usually it would take a week or so, but I clearly remember last year when I had a pack that didn't sprout anything. I had it outdoors and kind of just forgot about it. After 2 months, I noticed 6 seedlings! Glad I didn't give up.

So on Monday, I had about 21 seeds to plant. Since it's a little late in the season, I wanted to get them going fast. I had my finger nail clipper nearby, so I gently used it to basically crack the outer coating, while not exposing or clipping the embryo itself. I put them in water and waited. To my surprise, just less than 24 hours later every seed had sprouted! On one seed you could see the cotyledons! All but one of the others had clearly sprouted. I had to put off plans on Tuesday to get them potted up quickly. Guess I won't be ignoring common advice again.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH