SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Making an arbor (maybe) - need your wisdom

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

My first plan was to BUY an arbor but I'm not finding what I want. So far, the ones I'm finding within my budget are too narrow or flimsy for what I want to plant (native honeysuckle sempervirens).

So...Would it work to use four treated 4x4 posts for the verticle suports and then use the rail section pictured at the link below to go across the top? It's about six foot by three foot, treated, and already put together for $30 so the opening could be almost six foot wide or we could make it narrower and let it stick out a little on each side at the top. I don't know how wide it should be because I don't know how much room the plants will take up. ???

I'm not sure what to use for the sides. We can get 8 foot treated 1x2s for $1.79 each and just makes squares sort of like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07114316000P?keyword=arbor

If we center them about 8 inches apart would that be ok or do you think they need to be closer together?

How far will the honeysuckle hang down from the top? I'm not sure how high the top of the arbor should be.

The total cost of materials would be less than $100. It wouldn't be very fancy but I was going more for sturdy, and easy to make. Plants would cover it up anyway. If you could answer any of my questions or make any suggestions, I would be very grateful. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Will this look stupid?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville