SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_kc

Need all of your collective wisdom :-)

susan_kc
16 years ago

Hello! I'm sure everyone hates reading posts from people who start out by saying "I know virtually nothing about hostas..." but, I'll have to say it anyway. I know virtually nothing about hostas. But I need to learn! I moved into a new house at the end of last summer, and there were hostas lining the yard. I have no idea what kind they were. *ducks* I don't think whoever planted them knew much about hostas either, because they were in full sun (am pretty confident that most hostas are shade plants?)and seemed to be smallish and sunburned (brown edges on the leaves). Some had flower spikes, but not all. Eventually they all died back, and in the fall we covered the beds with shredded leaves (was this a good idea/bad idea?). Now spring is peeking out it's head (which is actually quite fun, because I've got mystery bulbs sprouting everywhere--the suspense is killing me!), and I've got several questions.

--When should I be looking for new sprouts?

--When is the best time to transplant, and do hostas need special requirements other than partial shade?

--What type of soil do they prefer?

--Any other special care tips I should be aware of?

Thank you all for your indulgence, and maybe since it's still winterish, this will give you some fun things to do--educate the newbie and all that. :-)

Cheers!

Susan

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert