SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Update - Your Wisdom in Action - Lots of Pics

jan_in_wisconsin
16 years ago

You probably all remember me and my constant posts as we built our new home this past summer. Along with the excitement, I often felt overwhelmed with all of the decisions and selections to be made. I was thrilled to have discovered this site during the building process. You all were very helpful (not to mention patient) with me in choosing furnishings and colors in my home. I still have a LONG way to go, but I thought I would share an update on my humble progress so far:

At one point, I waffled over which color and type of stool to get for the kitchen island, and many of you suggested backless in black. So here is a picture of those stools in place. Yes, I know the majority sentiment against roosters, however, these were given to me by family, so they have a special meaning to me and are presently growing on me in a cock-a-doodle-doo sort of way:

I had asked on this forum about whether country style is still appreciated or rather, considered tacky at this point in time, and everyone said that style is a personal choice and not a fad, however there was some marked dissent toward certain geese and cows, etc. - lol. Here is my Ethan Allen farmhouse table in a distressed finish. I know the centerpiece is probably too small, but remember that I'm a newbie at this stuff. The country will always be a part of me, and I will always be a part of it, I believe:

Quite recently, I was also in a quandary as to an entertainment center for our great room, and I wondered if it needed to match the finish of the dining table, and you all said that it would actually be better if it didn't. Also, someone mentioned Hooker Furniture, and when I checked out their site, I found this wonderful piece. Please note that the sofa and loveseat in the great room are not staying, as they are furniture we had in a previous home, and also, we still need lots of help with furniture arrangement in the great room as well. The end tables are not staying. The fireplace does not yet have any seating at all, and there are no window treatments in there yet either:

Here is a picture of the armoire we brought from our previous home, which is now in the boys' game room:

We also have the basics for furniture in our boys' rooms now too, although, again window treatments and other accessories are still needed. I did paint the dresser in my older son's bedroom a chocolate brown, as someone suggested here, and I'm presently working on painting my younger one's dresser a bright green:

Older son's room:

Younger son's room:

Also, we have basic furniture in our master bedroom:

While I've made progress, as you can see, I still have a lot to do. I just wanted to thank you all and update you on the great help I've received so far in my modest decorating endeavors. I look forward to accessorizing and completing the rooms throughout the house, with your continued input. I love this site and the group of people who frequent this board.

Jan

Comments (30)