SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
althea08

Newbie here -- vine to grow on large dead tree?

althea08
15 years ago

Hello to all :)

I am new to the forum. I apologize ahead of time if my question has been addressed in another post -- I did spend over an hour researching old posts and was not able to find the specific information I would like. Again, I do apologize for any redundancy! I am looking for any/all advice, experiences, photos, wisdom, tips, ect on the following questions:

1. I am working on a smaller bird/butterfly perrenial bed(first year, new plants of: ruby star coneflower, black eyed susan, white swan coneflower, blue star, brown eyed susan, and meadow sage) that is growing halfway around the base--other side is a sloped road bank--of a large (approx. 30-40 feet high and 4 feet diameter?) mostly dead decidous tree (was struck by lightening and is black and charred around the trunk, but does have leaves on the top branches). What vine would be a good choice to plant at the base to climb up and around thi large tree? I know that it should be a woody/strong vine--or I think so from my research on this forum and elsewhere on the web.

2. How do I plant the vine to get it to actually grow onto and up/around the tree? What type of support should I start training it on so that it does not just grow in a crazy, shrubby clump at the base and onto the ground to take over my flowers?

3. In general, how do I train a vine?

4. Not a question, but I just wanted to mention that I ONLY want to plant natives to the Eastern US (Chester County, Pennsylania) I would also much prefer a perrenial vine, as I want something permanent that I do not need to replant/train every year.

I have planted an American Wisteria ("American Beauties"--the label on the container and they have a website, www.abnativeplants.com-- Amethyst Falls variety) at the base of a column that supports the pergola over my front patio. It is growing very well and there are already many large buds on it that have not totally opened to flowers though. However, I do not understand how to get it to actually start climbing the column vertically (the column is square and each side is about 10''. I tied it with thick hemp twine to the column, but the growth seems to have slowed and it is not twining around the column so much. Did I make a mistake in tying it (not too tight, but firmly supported)? Should I put a trellis up to train it upwards? Should I prune it? Apologies for the string of questions, but I am a little frustrated since it had been growing so well and has slowed since I tried to "train" it. I thought that Wisteria twined around supports? Once it climbs about 10 feet it can (I hope) gp horizontally across the top of the pergola.

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any and all help/advice/instructions! I'm fairly new to gardening in general and really do not know a lot, but have done a good deal of reading and research here and in books, and many other websites. THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!!

Kind Regard-

Lauren

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio