SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisa_gw

untamed wisteria in new rental backyard

chrisa
17 years ago

I moved in to a rental brownstone garden apartment in Brooklyn this winter and discovered as spring sprung that a couple of the "sapling" trunks along the fenceline appear to be wisteria. it has jetted straight up in to the overhanging trees and seems to be happily attempting to bring their branches down. It is hard for me standing in the corner looking up to see just how far it goes. I see 2 options... eradicate, or cut down to a reachable level and see if I can control it from there. I have never dealt with a wisteria before and this one has obviously been in place for awhile (though it shows no signs of blooming at this time). There are 3 trunks in a row along the fence, the one in the corner is the thickest and tallest, it seems. The corner is a shaded one in a small city lot so I can see why it went for jetting straight up - I'm not entirely sure if i could train it to a pergola or expect blooms in that spot. I'm also not sure I can afford the time or money to buy/build a pergola. I haven't the slightest what variety it might be. Of course when I discovered what was there I had beautiful visions of a pergola dripping with fragrant blooms, but a bit of sleuthing gave me the idea that I was more likely facing an uphill battle with a high-maintenance invasive.

Any advice on my best options to procede would be most welcome!!!

thanks,

chris

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County