SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

House Plant cuttings swap

beth_b_kodiak
18 years ago

Is anyone interested in a swap of House Plant Cuttings? I would like to set this up for a mid September mailing date. We could start taking cuttings and getting them rooted now and then mail when it gets a bit cooler. It is not "necessary" that the cuttings be rooted but nice if you can do it.

How does at least three cuttings each from at least three different plants sound?? (Total of nine)

That should keep the package under a pound and give us a pretty good chance at having three new plants.

Please post here and tell what type of house plants you have and list some types you would like to get back. I'll TRY to match people up but it depends totally on what is available. If you are looking for something very specific.... you are better off setting up a private trade than going into a swap. A lot of the fun of swaps is the element of surprise. Anybody interested?

As hostess, I may ask for references from traders that I do not know.

Comments (79)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is the last day to sign up for this swap. We have some really interesting plants here( chicken gizzards and never never plants???) and it should be fun to get our cuttings and baby them along.
    If you have not sent your address.... I need that ASAP
    "mnwise" your email is blocked, please click on my name on this post and send me a message so I get your email address.
    I have 16 names on the list for the swap and I'll be working on getting everyone paired up while I'm waiting for planes over the weekend. I will be off line Sunday and Monday but will be working on the SWAP details.
    I have addresses for:
    Cassie
    Carly
    Veeja
    Marge C
    Sue
    Karen, Flsun
    Tina
    Jenelle and
    Georgette

• mwise
    18 years ago

It's Monday and I know you said you'd be off line but I am excited:) How goes the planning process?

Melissa

• Related Discussions

Cuttings from Kaye's plant swap

Q

Comments (4)
    Kaye, my misting system is in full sun all day, but I have a nursery table set up on the East side of a very large old walnut, so that they get shade in the afternoon. Wish the tree was a bit smaller so that it could be mid-day shade with morning and late afternoon sun, but it's limbs are just too wide spread. It's handy to the greenhouse, water and the misting setup, so I want to keep it all where I will see it several times per day. All that I moved out last week are on the nursery table and look fine...no wilting. I moved those with no new growth (Slater's Crimson China and one Sunsprite) to the nursery table and they seem fine. I tipped them out of the pot to make sure there were plenty of roots before doing that to them. I have 100% rooted if I don't mess up now. The old leaves are still dark green and healthy looking. Distant Drums, Archduke Charles, and La Marne have all either bloomed or had to be disbudded. La Marne bloomed out while under the soda bottles in the house. Turning the misters upside down seems to be working well. I get a wider spray pattern and less soaking. Curious to know if Ron or bh ever get scalding on leaves in full sun? That's what it looks like anyway. Strange thing, it is only on one Blaze climber cutting. Last winter I put 2 or 3 of the wimpiest looking cuttings to one pot thinking that they might not do anything... you can guess what happened..yep, three to a pot. The only ones I lost were one to a pot. That's Ok, I just recycle the potting mix...for growing, not for rooting medium. My problem now is lime scale on the cuttings. End up looking like little stone plants, but hasn't killed one yet. Wish I knew if those Magnetic Water Conditioners work or not. Guess I should break down and buy a filter for the line.
    ...See More

NEW: HousePlant Swap #3

Q

Comments (52)
    Kim, Thanks for the package. It must've been delivered on Saturday. We were out of town for the weekend, so I got it today - however the plants are still in awesome condition. Thanks for sending rooted ones too!! Kim sent: Burro's Tail Golden Pothos Spider plant (variegated) English Ivy Neophthytis "Exotic Cream" Murray Koenigi Silver Dollar Jade Panda Plant leaves I didn't have most of these, so am excited to see them as they get bigger. Thanks again!! Cedarnest - your package is being shipped tomorrow. The tracking number is 9101785091401257142137. I hope you enjoy it! Lissa
    ...See More

Starting Over: Hoping to Swap House Plant Rootings

Q

Comments (2)
    I cut back my Golden Pothos in March because it was getting too "leggy" and now I have a ton of cuttings which are all rooting and starting leaves. Here are examples of what the cuttings look like. I would be willing to trade for some of your Spider Plant babies. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks!
    ...See More

Plant, Seed, Bulb, cutting, swap

Q

Comments (2)
    Tuckeyda, You are not that far from me . I can swap with you . Contact me at the email address in the other post that I replied to you or private message me here on Houzz . Click on my name and then when the page comes up click on " message"
    ...See More
  • beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I have recieved all of the addresses and I know I said I'd get them swapped and back to you by the first.
    Well, two of our people live in Miss and LA. I hope to hear from them but many areas there will be without power for a long time. The tragedy and destruction from Katrina were on my mind as I was traveling cross country.
    I'll get names to the rest of you by tomorrow night but want to give Mimi and Going Green whatever options they need or want. Meanwhile keep the folks who have been touched bu this Hurricane in your thoughts and prayers
    Thanks, Beth

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The addresses were sent out this evening. If you still do not have the address of someone to mail cuttings to...please let me know.This should be a less than one pound package for $3.85 by priority mail. Please post when you mail and again when you recieve your package so we can all enjoy hearing which new plants you will be starting
    Thanks for joining and ... hope everyone has fun with this. BB

• FLsun
    18 years ago

just to update,hows everyone doing?,My cuttings are rooting well,I have some dolphin plant im rooting as well,seems to be taking a little longer on theese,So very busy here with school games, 2 volleyball games a week& 1 football game a week,practice everyday,Im a run run mom,Can't wait for it to cool down,3 weeks in the 100's,Ive had enough,How bout you all?

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got a message from "Going Green", her family escaped to Florida and are staying with friends but their home was destroyed. No news yet from Mimi in LA.
    Please keep them and all the others in the area of the hurricane in your prayers.

• FLsun
    18 years ago

Beth,Thank you for the update,I know gardening at this time is the last thing on their minds,But when there ready to replant please let me know,I have more then enough to help re establish ,we had our hurricanes last year& seeds sent to me from other garden web friends were such a comfort& helped to re establish my flower beds,thanks,Karen

• mwise
    18 years ago

Hummingbirddaisy,

I have tried to email you a couple of times now since we have been paired up for this trade and have not heard back from you...if you get this message could you email me and see if we can get a dialog going in private?
    Looking forward to hearing from you,
    Melissa in Austin

• wynative
    18 years ago

JOY ~ 'indyjoy' ~ your box is on it's way :)

Marie

• indyjoy
    18 years ago

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!
    Can't wait!

• FLsun
    18 years ago

Cassie,Your Box was sent off today& its on the way!,Thanks Beth for including me into your swap,Karen

• MargeC
    18 years ago

Janelle, Your box left here this morning. Confirmation #0305 0830 0003 4712 1630. Hope you enjoy. Thanks Beth for being good Hostess. Marge

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I am late again I will get my box out monday, sorry Sue, first of the week went to fast and don't want them to sit in po all weekend.
    carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carly, your package is in the mail. here is the confirmation number:0304 3490 0002 9486 8198
    It was fun picking things for you hope they do well.
    Beth

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Beth! I will be getting your package out on Monday, cause our po is not open on Saturdays! :( I will send you the confirmation as soon as I have it! I am sure that I will love everything that you send and I hope that you like everything that I send as well! I have a bunch of stuff for you!!

Carly

• indyjoy
    18 years ago

*******~~~~~Doing the happy Dance!!!!~~~~~*******
    I must be the first to get my package.
    Marie out did herself! Thanks so much Marie.
    I had said I would take perennials instead of houseplants, but I got some of both. LUCK ME! A pink hollihock, a couple red dailas, some suculents and oh my the most beautiful purple velvet vine. Also, Marie added some beautiful and good smelling cross stitched sachets. It really made my day. Marie, your package will go out Monday. I was traveling today and stopped at the nicest nursery. I picked up a tiny start of something I think you will enjoy besides the starts I have for you.
    Happy Gardening,
    Joy

• wynative
    18 years ago

Joy, I am glad that you liked the things I sent! Looking forward to recieving my surprises :)
    Marie

• MimiB1
    18 years ago

Just wanted to let you know that my family and I are alive and well. An experience like this makes you appreciate God's simple blessings - - like a cold drink of water, air conditioning when it is 97 degrees in the shade, being able to pick up a phone and call a friend or loved one, being able to go down to the local store for a loaf of bread or stop at a station and fill up your tank with gas... you know - simple stuff that we all take for granted! We were unable to get out of our driveway for 3 days and went 13 days 12 hours and 30 minutes without electricity, 10 days without telephone service, we still have no internet access at home so I am posting this from work. (And we are some of the lucky ones!) Plus a tree on my roof that does not make for a fun time. All of my trees behaved very well. They fell into the road or across my yard. They did major damage to all of my flower beds but with the help of my GardenWeb buddies I am sure I will be able to fix that. A neighbor's tree was not so thoughtful. I am posting this to say that I am very sorry I missed out on this Robin but I hope to participate in the next one. My family and I are so lucky to be alive. What an experience!

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Hi, Beth! Just wanted to drop you a note and let you know that your package is on the way to you!! I hope that you like everything I picked for you! I included several thank you plants for you hosting such a wonderful swap!! I also sent you a nice big asparagus fern that I had as an extra from a trade! Hope you like your box confirmation number 0103 8555 7496 0685 3212!

Carly

P.S. Just kidding about the fern!! LOL! Aren't you relieved!!

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Well, here I am again!! I received my box from Beth today and Beth I have to admit that I am very upset that you would do this to me!! You now have me addicted to begonias!!!!! LOL!! I need another addiction like I need a hole in the head but these have to be some of the most beautiful plants I have ever seen!! Absolutely stunning!!! In my box were a Plectranthus Fosteri Marginatus, a gorgeous purpley-green with pink spots angel wing begonia, the most adorable little african violet, a shimmery green with maroon edges rex begonia(I have NEVER seen leaves that color!!Beautiful!), a begonia serrata Petala(which will in my living room on top of the piano so that it is the first thing you see when you walk in the door!), and beautiful maroon and green colored rubber tree cuttings!

Beth thanks so much for all the beautiful plants, I love purple/burgandy colored foliage and these will go so perfectly in my house! I am hopefully(fingers crossed) fixing to get a new digital camera and when I do I will post some pics of my beautiful new babies in their new home!! thanks for hosting this swap as well and I hope that you are as pleased as I am when you get your box!!

Carly

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Thankyou sue for my five new plants, I love them. what color is the plummie? your box went out today I hope they arrive in good shape.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So Glad to hear from Mimi that she and her family are OK and had repairable damages. So thankful the trees fell the "right way" for you. I had a message from Going Green about a week ago that they had evacuated in time but their home recievd severe damage. I believe that her home was in the town shown in the photo of the back of a lady walking down a street with nothing but shattered lumber strewn down both sides. It was on my home page for several days and looked so desolate each time I opened it.
    Thank the Lord that neither of these Garden Webbers were injured or lost family members. My heart goes out to those whose loved ones were injured or worse
    Mimi and Going Green just let us know when you are ready for new plants and we'll get you started again. Thanks again for letting us know. BB

• lunamoon
    18 years ago

MargeC~ I just wanted to let you know that your box arrived yesterday and everything is in good shape. I received a Dracena marginata, Croton codiaeum, orange flowering Kalanchoe and lily of the valley. Thanks so much! Your package is on it's way. I've been sick and couldn't get to the post office until this morning but it should arrive in a few days. Hope you like what I sent.

Jenell

• FLsun
    18 years ago

Cassie,I sent your box off priority with delivery conf a week ago,Please let me know when you can that you recieved your Box& hopefully enjoyed,thanks,Karen

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Geeesh!!! Where is everybody, including my mailman with my package from Carly?
    We started off with, I think 16 and had 4 drop out. So far 4 have posted that they recieved that leaves 8 more to go. I know the deadline was the 10th and Carol was running late but what is happening with everyone else ???
    Hope a couple more post tonight that they got packages today.
    And, Carly, I'll try shaving my legs and flagging down the mailman tomorrow. Maybe that will work.
    Anyway, post and let us know what is happening. thanks. BB

• veeja11
    18 years ago

The shaved legs usually work, even with lady mail people. my box should have gotten to sues today. hope so

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Well, if that box doesn't get there tomorrow I will shave my legs to see if that helps! Does long distance shaving count? LOL!! I can't believe that it is not there yet!!!! If it is not there by tomorrow I may go throw a fit at the post office! I hope that all the plants get to you in good condition. I think everything that I sent is pretty tough but if anything reaches you in bad condition let me know and I will resend! Here's hoping that tomorrow is the day!

Carly

• veeja11
    18 years ago

My confirmation number says my pkg was delivered to sue, hope she has it, and its not sitting on the wrong porch. did you get it sue? worried carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Carly, the package arrived a few minutes ago. The mail person was loaded down and did not seem to notice my legs. I think maybe Im thankful for that. LOL
    I'll post more later. Just wanted to let you know, everything looks super.
    BB

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Thanks beth for letting me know! I am super relieved that it made it there! Hope you like everything!

Carly

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well!! My package from Carly had such great goodies ... where to begin? How about the silver squills? Actually Carly, they looked pretty good. The leaves tend to be fragile, so the trimming did them no harm at all. They will go directly into dirt and I'm so glad to have such a nice big clump. The sweedisy ivy, two different kinds I'll probably keep in water until I get back to Fairbanks. It is more transportable that way and I think it will do well up there. The Moses in a boat I have seen but never grew before, IS it like the smaller wandering jew type plants? Fairly low light and good humidity?
    The klanchoe I have had befote and I can do OK with that one. it's pretty tough. LOL I am so tickled to have gotten the devils backbone too. I was given a piece of that years ago by a friend in Missouri. It died one year when the power went out and I never was able to find another. This one looks really GOOD. Where were you growing it? I'll try for the same conditions
    And, finally, the challenge for the winter is the scented geranium. Carly if you acn help me keep that one alive and growing. It will be a first. About 35 years ago I lived in DC and had a greenhouse, there I hav one very nice scented geranium. Since then I buy them but they never live long at all. I'm going to get a plant light. That may help, but what else?? I love these things, actually, I love most any scented foliage but especially the geraniums If I can do OK with this one, I'll surely try more.
    Thank you, Carly, NOT for the plants,but for your kindness in sending them to me, great packing and the thoughtfulness in your choices. Thanks for being my partner. It has been great fun.
    Beth B

• wynative
    18 years ago

Okay, I have shaved my legs :) hehehehe
    Can't hurt to try...

• MargeC
    18 years ago

Hi Jenell, I got my box this morning. I am really thrilled.
    Thank you.
    Everyone you should see what she sent me. Jenell sent me several packs of seeds. Daylily seeds that I didn't have, plus others. The plants are fantastic. I did not have anyof them. Rosary Vines, Queen's Tears, Huernia, Aeonium, and Rex Begonia. I just couldn't believe what a great box I got. I really needed it. I had a Breast Biopsy yesterday. So now I am just drooping around waiting for results. So the Nice box Helped.
    Thanks again Jenell. Marge

• veeja11
    18 years ago

ok if my box is sitting in hot phoenix sun it is not good. confirmation number 03041560000326453051, says its there, come on sue, I am worried about plant I grew most of them from cuttings or seeds.

• wynative
    18 years ago

My box has arrived!! THanks you soooooo much Joy!

I recieved both Lg. & sm. Leaf Jade, String of Pearls, Moses in a Cradle, a very pretty Hoya - green leaves with white around the edges, Klancic Plant - had to look this one up, very neat! A Rosary plant & CHICKEN GIZZARD PLANT!! I like all of them but CG is my favorite. Thanks also for the pretty bracelet, JoY!

Now I get to find pots and places for all my new 'babies':)
    Enjoy you weekend and I hope everyone is a pleased with their boxes as I am!

• lunamoon
    18 years ago

Marge~ I'm glad you liked the plants and that they arrived safely. Wishing you good results for your biopsy. The waiting and anticipation of the results must be nerve wracking. Good luck!

Jenell

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

Carol not to worry I received the box and everything was in wonderful shape. Sorry I've been sick for a few days and didn't even get to my computer. They are beautiful cuttings! I got euphorbia leucoveur, cissus quadrangula, brachychiton rupestris, carigared lipstick, yellow flowering euphorbia, queen of night red screw pine........
    just wonderful! Thank you so much for such a lovely swap and thanks Beth for hosting!

• indyjoy
    18 years ago

The CHICKEN GIZZARD PLANT is the one I picked up at the unique nursery I found while traveling. Hubby was in the van with the dogs so I didn't get to spend the time I wanted looking around. I has a hystorectomy last Wed. and am off work for six weeks. When I get feeling better I will make a trip to that nursery by myself and sneek ;) some new plants home with me.
    Joy

• indyjoy
    18 years ago

Marie,
    Klancic is realy "kalanchoe" it blooms a hot pink, in my rush to get your package out I couldn't remember the name and spelling. Hope you are not disapointed.
    Joy

• jcpyburn
    18 years ago

Beth,

I am so glad that you liked all of your plants! I have the ones that you sent me rooting now and the begonia serrati petala is showing root buds!! Yeah!! I know that I will enjoy the plants for a long time to come!

Carly

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Thankyou Beth for a wonderfull swap, if you need any substitutes plmk
    thankyou carol

• wynative
    18 years ago

Joy, I hope you feel better soon! I planted the Rosary plant last Friday and it still looks great today, so I am sure that it just needed soil to root. I have showed/told EVERYONE - that will listen - about my Chicken Gizzard plant. The ladies at the deli said that only I would have something called that - I order CG for lunch atleast once a week. It took me awhile to find Kalanchoe on Google but I didn't think about correcting your spelling due to mine is HORRIBLE!

No I am not at all disappointed! I had so few house plants and LOVE all my new ones.

Enjoy your week and don't forget to make that nursery visit when you feel up to it!
    Marie

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It sure sounds like everyone had fun and is enjoying their plants. Me too, and they are all looking good so far including the scented Geraniums. Thanks again Carly.
    Joy, hope you feel better soon AND where is this special nursery?
    Has everyone except FL sun recieved????
    She is the only one I have heard from that is still waiting with enpty hands and cobwebby mailbox. Anybody else?

• indyjoy
    18 years ago

Marie--You eat CG? Oh how funny that I picked that plant for you.
    Beth-- the nursery is in Crawfordsville, IN. here is their web page davidsongreenhouse.com
    I had one of there catalogs fron 2002 that I had been hanging onto... Thinking sometime I would get there.

Thanks all for the good wishes. I DO feel better. If anyone is working on the decision I just had to make about a hysterectomy, let me say "except for the first few days it's been a piece of cake." Of course if they had made a big fat incission it would be a different story, I'm sure. Now I just have to be so careful not to do anything I'm not suppost to do, like digging, pulling, picking things up. The wind blew my banana tree over on Monday morning. After the storm blew over it turned out to be a beautiful day. It drove me crazy all day to not upright the pot and get the top out of the pond. DH took care of it as soon as he got home from work.
    This has been so much fun and I have so much time on my hands, I would like to do it again. I will make a new post, if anyone wants to do this again sign up there and I will match people up and send out the emails. Come on and sign up on the post JOYS OF HOUSEPLANTS.
    Happy Gardening to all,
    Joy

• cassiet
    18 years ago

My package is very late going out but has left today on it's way to FL.... sorry so late. confirmation number 03041560000682195350. It dropped out some water and they gave me a hard time about it. I kept saying it's just water in there.

Cassie

• FLsun
    18 years ago

Thank You Cassie,I know you have been very busy :),I will post when it arrives,Joy,Im glad your feeling better,My sister In Indiana just went back to work after her surgery,,she took a long needed vacation!

• FLsun
    18 years ago

Hi All,I got my box today,I recieved several philo's& some cacti,Thanks,Cassie& thanks Beth for letting me be apart of your swap!

• pattyp2257
    18 years ago

i sure would like to know what a chicken gizzard plant is and how or where do you get on at patty

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone, sounds like while I was on the road this swap finished up fine. If I remember right Cassie and Karen were the last ones so, all's well.
    I brought a lot of plants with me and am getting them potted as I find right size pots. I just love my appartment and, my "landlady" (A former co-worker) had potted plants srtting on my dining room table when I arrived. How nice can you get? The sun shines in that window and it is great
    I'm still not on line but am using a computer at the library. Just wanted to say "hi,Ya'll"

• number_1_angel
    18 years ago

HI Beth--Glad to see you made it 'home'. I am almost moved--should be back online next week--Did you enjoy your trip thru Canada? Did you have snow waiting for you?? Miss 'chatting' Maybe we can catch up next week--
    ttyl
    Jeanette