SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

Fallen flowers & pollen from locust tree--good for worms?

weedlady
11 years ago

We have several large honey locust trees (the sterile kind-- no pods thank goodness!!) that have been dropping their spent flowers on all flat surfaces in our yard. (Not as bad, I am quick to say, as the astonishing bumper crop of bloody maple keys from the numerous trees all around ours and several adjacent yards and now are all starting to sprout EVERYWHERE).

My back patio was covered with these tiny flowers so I got out the shop vac (which was empty since I recently had cleaned it out) and sucked them all up--wondering as I did so whether these would be a nice treat for the herd.

When I opened the canister I found the whole inside (& filter) just covered with pollen, with the teensy petals down on the bottom. I banged & brushed the pollen off the filter and in with the rest of the stuff before emptying it all into a small bucket-- altogether it comes to about a gallon of flower bits.

Now, I know that humans can eat certain kinds of pollen for the health benefits, but I just want to be sure the worms can tolerate it. Since there is so much, I am thinking of just storing it until it's time to change the bedding again (later this year, since I just gave both tubs all new bedding a month ago) and mixing it in with the shredded paper along with a few big handsful or so of chopped fallen leaves I always like to use. (Making new bins in fall is a snap!)

So...anyone think of any reason not to use this organic resource? Thanks for any input!

Comments (5)