SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmarks_gw

Where should I put this Wisteria?

lmarks
17 years ago

I have a large potted Wisteria tree, variety unknown, about 6 feet high, which used to be on someone else's roof garden before they moved away and bequeathed it to me. It has outgrown its (very large) pot, and I want to plant it now in my city backyard. I only have one spot that really catches the sun: it's a corner formed by the back wall of my house and the fence that separates my yard from the neighbor's. Fence is about 6' high, wood on my side against chain link on theirs, and the back wall of my house actually consists of a little concrete-block shed (ugh) that sticks out about 6 feet from the main wall. Above that, the side of the house is brick (painted/mortared over).

I go into all this detail because I've heard a lot about the invasive and destructive nature of Wisteria. There's not much it can do to a concrete block shed, but if and when it gets very tall do I need to worry about it damaging the brick/masonry of my house - or worse, my neighbor's house? (These are connected rowhouses.) I'm OK with taking on a diligent pruning schedule, but I don't want to plant irresponsibly. And do you think Wisteria will look attractive trained on a 90-degree angle in a corner? I like the idea of it draping over this shed as much as possible and camouflaging it. Perhaps I'll even get inspired to disguise the shed further with stucco and nice shingles.

My only other option would be to keep pruning it as a tree, but even then the only spot I can put it in would be about 4 feet from a fence, so I fear it would try to climb anyway (and probably not get quite enough sun there either).

I welcome any advice!

Comments (2)