SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluelake_gw

I'm doing it all backwards !

bluelake
13 years ago

Yesterday I went to a feed store to get worms for my garden. I bought a pound of red wigglers for $33.00. I don't know WHY it didn't dawn on me until I was almost home that I wanted earth worms, not red wigglers.

However, I've been interested in vermicomposting for a long time, so now is as good as any to start.

I have them in a clear plastic bin, the size of a shoe box. I attempted to put holes in the lid, but it just cracked slices into the lid. The worms are in there, in their original bedding with a little lettuce and a little coffee grounds. I keep the box covered with a dark t-shirt.

They've been in there about 20 hours now. When I do look, they are up and active and seem unfazed by the move.

How long can I keep them in this set up? Can anyone recommend a bin in the $50.00 range, or direct me to a good site to build my own? I'm in Austin, so the worms will have to live indoors due to the heat. As for making my own, I don't have very many tools so I'm limited with what I can build.

Open to suggestions, and I'll keep reading the past posts to get up to speed on this new hobby. I do have an active outdoor compost but it's alread at 100 degrees so they can't go in there.

Thanks to all!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living