SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckerster

climbing vine for lattices (and beginner)...

beckerster
17 years ago

Hi all! well, the dh and i just bought our first house! :D

the house has these metal awnings on all the windows. i'd love to remove most of them, cuz they dont let any real light into the house, and my houseplants are paying the price!

but i like the function of the front and back porch ones so i'd like to keep those. problem being; they're ugly. big black and white chunks of metal. someone gave me the idea of putting lattices on the sides and planting a growing vine...

being that this is our first house, and i'm not very experienced. and i need some help :P (which isnt the best cuz there are a ton of roses everywhere that i need to learn to take care of!)

i need suggestions on some climbing vines that are not easily killed...and i would like them to grow pretty fast. i want those awnings covered as soon as possible. the 2 awnings face the east and west. i'm not sure in annuals or perenials would be better. and flowers would be nice but not needed.

one more question: would i need to put something on the acctual metal for the plants to climb on? or would the lattices on the sides be enough?

here are some pics of the awnings to help:

front

back

thank you all so much for listening to my ramblings and for the help!!! love, Beckie

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County