SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetgreen_gw

Rather than attract them...

sweetgreen
19 years ago

Since the people with the most smarts about worms hang around here, I hope I can ask this question without getting thrown out. How can I create conditions in the ground that will repel worms?

Here is the situation: I have a coop and a fenced in run area for guinea fowl/chickens/peacocks/pheasants/quail. Occupancy changes sometimes. Most of these birds, however, are susceptible to 'bad worms'. As I understand, the bad worms eggs are carried by the earthworms which are eaten by the birds. Then the birds get sick, and I cry. So how do I make the earthworms unwelcome to the bird yard? I'm not rushing to spread diazinone or other poisons as I don't want to cause the birds other issues. I've heard orange oil will kill worms, but I've not been able to find a source for this stuff, and am scared of the price and effect on the birds. I'm hoping for an answer like, "an inch of wood ashes over the soil, applied each year will change the pH enough to keep them at bay". Or, "earthworms will not crawl thru builders sand". Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus