SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growvegetables

Tomato transplants too small?

growvegetables
12 years ago

I just picked up some six packs of tomatoes that came in the typical thin plastic containers so each plant is in a 1.5"X1.5"X3" deep cell. The plants vary from 6 to 9" tall, mostly 6-7" except for the early girls and all look quite healthy.

I've done tomatoes for years but usually I buy 10 single tomato plants in the 10-12" range with bigger pots ~3X3X4 deep. I know not to buy the really big plants >12" in the big pots. I've got more room this year so went for the six packs.

They were in an outdoor greenhouse which was partially opened up during the day when I bought them so I don't think they need too much hardening off.

Usually I bury my 10 or 11" plants 3" deeper and clip off the lowest leaves. But I can't do that with 6-7" plants.

What do I do, do I repot them and keep them in the sun room for a week or two, or do I plant them outside? The weather is supposed to be upper 40s at night low to mid 60s during the day and it is probably going to be warmer next week.

I've also got six packs of 8" eggplants and 3" pepper plants. I think they prefer it a bit warmer than the tomatoes, and the peppers are small anyways so I was going to repot them. Good decision?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor