SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ragtimegal

Woo Hoo!!! I caught him!!!

ragtimegal
14 years ago

For those of you that were spared my rant of earlier this week, I was ready to call it quits for the season due to devastation of my tomato plants. The primary suspect had been hornworms, due to the classic damage left behind. But after 2 weeks of searching at night with flashlights, turning the plants over, rubbing all of the stems and leaves, there just was no sign of them.

I started thinking that the pattern of the damage had to be something else. It usually occurred when I wasn't home (or in the backyard) or at night, and it started on the plants on the outer most part of the garden and then moved inward.

SO, I set up a video camera to see if I could catch the criminal. I was up all last night videoing and changing out tapes, but nothing.

Today, I set the camera out during the day and then went and worked in the yard in the front of the house. After returning I found a large potato leaf from my Brandywine on the ground, and I knew that I had captured the criminal on tape!

I checked the video, and sure enough...a fat, bushy tailed squirrel hopped right up into the container and ate the leaf off and started on another one before it heard me and took off.

I bought netting to put around the containers and I'm about to head out to cover them up.

CASE SOLVED!!! I AM SOOO HAPPY!!!!!

If I can get my video onto a computer file, I'll post a link to it. You have to see this! :)

Comments (18)