SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tvrolyk

Boston Ivy for concrete retaining wall, propogation question

tvrolyk
16 years ago

I am considering Boston Ivy for a concrete retaining wall at the back of my property. I have read about its invasiveness and wanted some ideas about my best options.

1) First off is it appropriate and if not what is a good alternative?

The wall is a concrete retaining wall to the park behind our property which is about 4-5' above our yard. The wall has been there 50+ years so it is old and well cured but still in good shape. It is toped with a chain link fence I would also like to cover with vine but that is not critical. The chain link has no soil immediately below it (on my side) so I can't plant a sucker vine for the contrete and a twining vine for the fence.

At each end of the wall it intersects my wooden fence which is 3 years old. At one intersection it is quite shady and the other is in full sun.

I have read that Ivys are bad for wooden fences because they block out the sun, retain moisture and promote rot. At the shady end I was wondering if that would less of an issue because of lack of sun. At the other end it would have to be maintained several times a year to prevent spreading onto the fence.

2) Assuming I decide on Boston Ivy I have a friend who has a lot I could pull from. What would be the best time and method for propogating the ivy given the time of year?

I think that about covers it. I would appreciate your insights.

Tony

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus