SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jadeite_z7

newbie questions - how much to feed, leachate?

jadeite
11 years ago

I know this has come up before, but I'm confused about how much to feed. We have had our worms (3 lbs) about 3-4 weeks. They were shipped in a bag with something that MIGHT be castings. The medium looked like compost - dark, moist, earthy smelling. We have an 18 gal rubbermaid tote, holes drilled bottom and sides, set up with corrugated cardboard and plain paper, all moistened.

We have put in smallish amounts (perhaps 1-2 lbs total) of food which is decomposing. The worms are all through the food and bedding and have grown fatter and bigger (to my subjective eye). I thought that worms consumed about twice their weight per week, which would be 6lbs in our case. I don't see anything like this rate of consumption. The bulk of the food we added 2 weeks ago is still there, so is the bedding and the compost they were shipped in. How do I know when to add more food or bedding?

I can't see any castings, although they may be the same as the shipping medium which isn't getting any more bulky.

Also, I thought the worms would be making leachate. Nothing has collected below the bin with holes (second bin without holes is below, with spacers to keep them about 3" apart).

Sorry to sound so dumb. I would hate to have the little beasties die off.

Cheryl

Comments (10)