SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

MNF September 'Won't You Be My Neighbor'

poisondartfrog
12 years ago

September is a wonderful month! The weather is cooler and the mad scramble to get everything to ground and then to weed and feed and maintain is winding down.

It is a good time to assess the season�s successes and failures, plan next year�s plantings and enjoy the harvest. Most cultures and many religions celebrate this time of year for the harvest and mark the Autumnal Equinox as the beginning of fall. Neighbors find lot's of reasons to get together for food and fun, even if we don't chip in to help with the harvest much anymore.

September 28 is Good Neighbor Day, and that is the theme of September's Swap. Sign ups will run through September 2.

Send your box Priority Mail with DC confirmation by September 15. Depending on what you choose to send from the 3 required elements the size of the box will vary. You will send your neighbor the following items:

1. Divisions/bulbs/tubers of two plants that you are growing. Neighbors share plants across the fence and we will be doing that with our online neighbors. September is prime time for digging Daylilies, Monarda, and lots of other perennials. An alternative would be to buy some bulbs for fall planting and divide them between you and your neighbor. That way you will both have the same plant blooming in your garden next year. As long as you send your neighbor 2 different plants/bulb types that you grow or will be growing with them, you will meet this requirement. (For bulbs, please send a group of bulbs. Unless it is a Giant Allium or Frittilaria, 1 bulb is not enough. Imagine one sad little tulip on a cold March day. For tulips and daffs, etc, please send 4 -5 of each type to equal 1 plant.)

2. Some product from your garden this year. This could be seeds gathered from a favorite plant, an ornamental gourd or dried flowers from your plantings, a preserved fruit or vegetable product from your garden, or something decorative or useful made from your garden�s bounty.

3. The recipe for whatever you would bring to our potluck if we had a harvest celebration together and everyone was asked to bring their favorite fall dish.

To play you must be a GW member in good standing and be over 18 years old.

Don't mention what you will be sending on the thread, but email me a nickname for your box that reflects the contents without giving everything away. These boxes should be relatively small so it should not be difficult to come up with a descriptive one or two word name. Play it straight or be coy. Once everyone has sent me the nickname for their box, the participants will select the box they will receive from the nickname without knowing who their secret neighbor is. The order of selection will be established by a game we will play at the end of sign ups. Please send me your GW name and real name and address before September 2.

In the meantime, I will post a game for a prize when sign ups reach 8 participants. I hope a lot of you will play.

Happy...

Comments (81)