SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
antoniab_gw

Dead Worms/What next?

antoniab
14 years ago

We got two nights of hard frost here, with cold days. I was kept busy covering my garden. By the time the cold hit, my yard looked like a gypsy encampment, with everything covered with tarps, sheets, plastic, and whatnot, trying to save my garden.

My worm bin is on the back porch, and I didn't worry much about it. I have a 45 gallon bin FT that tend to have warm spots all the time anyway, so I just put on the lid. The lows were supposed to be no lower than 30, the porch is protected, I have EF's and Euros. They should have been fine.

Well, the frost came and went. I lost a cucumber plant and a few strawberry leaves, but the smell from the bin was HORRIBLE.

Yesterday I pulled out a big plastic tarp and took it apart. In the lower part of the bin near the bars was a mass of decaying worms. They were pretty much all in one area of the bin, in a layer, in several clumps. They were in bits, falling apart, but some were still wiggling in parts. They were all string of pearls looking, lumpy. I think they froze. Ones that were still whole enough to look at closely were obviously PE's.

All my worms were boughten. I never ordered PE's. I was just seeing a second generation. Sigh.

I think I lost about 1/3 of my worms, or maybe 2000.

I have lots of cocoons which also kind of bites, because this summer I will have a PE explosion, only to freeze them out again this fall, probably.

Ick.

I guess I don't have a question. Just complaining.

And I don't have anything against PE's either. If I lived where it never got too cold they would be my worm of choice probably. But they sure do stick up a bin when they die.

Comments (18)