SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark77511

Just moved -- need recommendations

mark77511
17 years ago

Hi y'all! I just moved from an apartment in Clear Lake to a house in Alvin, so for the first time in my life I have space to plant stuff. Now I have to figure out what the "stuff" is. I'm looking to start off simply, so here's a few ideas I've had, and perhaps you can let me know what you think. I'd especially like to know if the plants I'm suggesting are susceptible to bugs.

1) There's a huge willow oak in the small south-facing front yard, and since the lawn doesn't grow well around the base, I'm thinking of making a little island and planting something, perhaps some lantana.

2) I have a 4' tall wire fence at the side of the house (also facing south, but somewhat shaded by trees. I'd love to plant some fruit canes there. Would some variety of blackberry work?

3) When it rains hard, the water drains to the back of the back yard and tends to hang around, so I'd like to plant something here that doesn't mind wet feet and would look somewhat hedgey (is that a word?) against the existing 6' wood fence. I was thinking of wax myrtle. At the moment, the ground is a mass of weeds and something that looks like a vine growing along the ground popping up everywhere. What would be best to use to clear this out?

4) Finally, I need a place to buy things! Can anyone recommend a good nursery near Alvin?

Thanks so much for your help! I already feel like I've learned a lot reading the forum.

Comments (11)