SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blushing_susie

How many seeds to get a nice full vine plant?

blushing_susie
10 years ago

Hi! I have a few questions about growing vines. I have tried to find answers online and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
Q#1: I love the photos of the bushy-looking vines growing on obelisks or up out of containers, and I was wondering how many seeds I would need to get a nice bushy-looking plant?
I am ordering some black-eyed susan vine seeds and they only come with 10 seeds in the pack. Will that be enough to produce a good-sized plant?

Q#2: I have other vine seeds (morning glories and sweet peas), and I was wondering what types of support they will need. For instance, I have an old antenna pole on the side of our house...would that be too thick for the vines to wrap around? How thick of a pole is TOO thick? (I'm only growing the flowering vines that wrap around things, not the ivy-type vines that stick to the sides of things).

Q#3: My sweet pea seed pack says it can grow up to 15 feet. If I plant it on a trellis/obelisk that is only, say, 4 feet, would it just tumble down and start wrapping around itself?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and answer!

Comments (12)