SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

ripening tomatoes

I was wondering what is the quickest way to ripen tomatoes. I realize that mother nature works on her time, not ours. Normally I don't really mind waiting. Unfortunately I don't have this luxury because of the short growing season where I live. The temperatures start to drop around September and October, to the point that it's too cool for the tomatoes to ripen.

The main question I have is that will a fertilizer high in potassium and phosphorus, if applied after the blossoms set and fruit starts to form, cause the fruit to ripen more quickly?

I was also thinking of using the blossom set spray; supposedly the blossoms set sooner, the fruits ripen faster, and you'll get a bigger harvest. Does it really work or is it a gimmick?

The soil mixture I use has dolomite lime in it, and the fertilizer I plan to use on the surface of the soil is a 9-12-12. Will it really be necessary to use the blossom set spray?

I know with melons you should place the black plastic on the soil; it warms the surface of the soil and makes the melon and squash plants grow faster.

However are you only supposed to use this when the plants are initially starting out and then take it off once they start to bare fruit? I also do container gardening so that boosts the temperature so would the black soil covers (that heat the soil) be necessary?

I heard that once temperatures become too high, that the fruit will slow with ripening with squash, eggplants, tomatoes, peppers, etc.

So once the blossoms start to set and immature fruit starts to appear, should the temperatueres be lowered?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH