SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Anyone grown Taiwanese green skinned tomatoes (='Red Target')?

plantslayer
14 years ago

I noticed that Evergreen seeds sells an interesting looking tomato variety that they call "red target". Basically the shoulders of the tomato extend down 2/3rds or more of the fruit, giving you a green fruit with red insides when ripe. You can tell when it is ripe (or at least ready to eat by the standards of this tomato) because a bright red circle around the blossom end appears.

Has anyone grown this? Are there Western varieties that are basically the same thing? I can't find detailed information on growing it (maturity, climate, etc.), although I get the impression that it might be better suited to very warm/tropical climates.

I saw that there are many versions of this kind of tomato on the websites for Taiwanese seed companies, but I don't see any Western sellers selling it except for Evergreen Seed, which specializes in Asian vegetable seed. Unless I learn that it won't grow well where I live, I want to give it a shot next year!

As a bonus, since I grow in an urban plot, a green-looking tomato like this would probably be passed over by pests of the two-legged kind.

Here's the link:

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/toredta.html

Comments (4)