SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

Has anyone grown these tomato varieties for TYLCV resistance

corrie22
15 years ago

Other than Champion, I've never even heard of the other two.

Anything you guys know about them I would appreciate - good or bad.

This one is from Totally Tomatoes:

"Champion 11 Hybrid Tomato(VFFNTA) If you love the ever popular Champion Hybrid then you're sure to become a fan of this variety. Features even more disease resistance while maintaining the same delicious flavor and timing. Delivers high yields of meaty, 6 to 7 oz. fruits. Also exhibits intermediate resistance to Yellow Leaf Curl Virus. "

These two are from Tomatoe Growers Supply:

"Margo (VFFT) Hybrid New for 2009 Shiney red 6oz tomatoes are juicy and flavorful, making them just right for slicing. Compact plants only grow to about 30 in tall while still offering great production. The disease resistance package includes tomato yellow leaf curl virus resistance, which is also helpful for gardeners in many areas. Margo provides perfect size, taste, and disease protection in a beautiful tomato. Determinate 70 days"

"Sun King (VFTA)Hybrid Now gardners can harvest big, rich-tasting tomatoes all the way until frost. From the beginning of the season until the end, deep red, smooth meaty fruit is extra large with well-balanced mild, sweet flavor. Good crack resistance, few seeds, and very little waste make these tomatoes great for slicing. Vigorous plants are resistant to Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus, serious problem for some tomato gardeners. Determinate 75 days"

TGS says this about Champion II:

"Champion II (VFNT) Hybrid Especially bred as a luscious sandwich tomato...solid, meaty slices with just the right sweetness. High yields of large fruit bigger than Early Girl and earlier than Better Boy. Outstanding performer. Indeterminate 70 days"

TGS does not mention any resistance to TYLCV like TT does.

If you guys know anything about these varities - good or bad - please let me know.

Thanks guys

Corrie

Comments (68)

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Bernie, I also will have tons of seeds this year. Dont have a list yet, but will keep you mind. If I forget later on, remind me! I am just now saving from my current Winter plants, into spring.

• flyingfish2
    15 years ago

Thanks Tom and Cindeea,

Tom , I'll send you an email.

Was thinking about a SWC and found a great pdf on how to make and use them. It is much better than the info in the book that I bought on incredible vegetables SWC by Ed Smith. I was thinking for a late crop, using one of these on a south screened porch might be good.

http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

See what you guys think of this.

bernie

• Related Discussions

List of Some Tomato Varieties Resistant to Nematodes

Q

Comments (8)
    Paula, You're welcome. I knew you'd had nematode issues and that Jo is now battling them, so figured a list might come in handy because it is likely other members of this forum have nematodes too. Lots of the gardeners here in our county have very sandy soil and nematodes plague them, so even though I personally don't have to deal with them on our land (so far), I have many friends who do. The entire line of Goliath hybrids carried by Totally Tomatoes is very good and I think all but three of their Goliath hybrids are nematode-resistant and I consider those Goliath varieties about as close as you can get to "a sure thing" with bybrid tomatoes. I don't think any Goliath type I've grown has ever disappointed me. I don't think I had any Goliaths in my garden last year, but I started several for friends who are nematode-challenged last year, and they just loved them. I remember the first year I started tomatoes from seeds, Paula. I was so excited because I thought I'd done something really special. Later on, after I realized how easy it is to do, I realized I wasn't quite the brilliant horticulturalist I thought I was. : ) Still, I love growing my own, although every now and then I'll buy a tomato plant because no matter how many different varieties I plant, you just know I'll walk into a store and see one I wished I'd planted and didn't. Tim has learned that even if I grow 100 varieties from seed, I still have to look at every plant in every store we're in "just in case", as in "just in case" they have one variety that I don't already have growing. He has the patience of a saint! Keith, Don't I wish I did! For hail, just wait for me to transplant all my plants into the garden. It will hail here within 24 hours of that and then it won't hail again the rest of the year. So, if you wait for the hail storm after I plant, and then you plant your plants, you're home free and clear and with unshredded plants. For heavy rainfall, I hear you loud and clear. In 2006, our exceptional drought of 2005-2006 ended with 9.25" of rainfall in one day late in April, and 8" of that fell in less than 4 hours. My plants were not amused. However, most survived. I figured the garden and I had survived the worst thing that Mother Nature would throw at us....until we received 12.89" in one day in April 2009. My rainfall solution is raised beds. They don't guarantee heavy rainfall won't drown your plants, but they help a lot. IF I couldn't have raised beds for some reason, I'd deal with the ever-present threat of flooding rains by grafting tomato seedlings onto eggplant rootstocks because eggplant roots tolerate much, much, much wetter soil than tomato plant roots can stand. Jo, You give me too much credit. All I did was sit here with some old notes I had in notebooks and compile a list, and then I flipped through a couple of catalogs to get the right 'VNF' codes to go with each variety on the list, and picked up and added some newer releases or some whose disease rating has changed as additional tolerances were bred into new versions of a given variety. Jay, I am glad you have some ideas for heirlooms that resist nematodes because I don't have nematodes, and most of the folks here around me with nematode-infested soil only grow hybrids. I know some of our neighbors had nematodes when I was a kid, but I wasn't paying attention to what they were growing back then....I wish I could go back and spend one week with all the old gardeners I grew up around so I could pick their brains and ask questions now that I didn't know to ask back then. Dawn
    ...See More

Best heat resistant tomato varieties?

Q

Comments (21)
    I have been growing (or attempting to grow) tomatoes in Tucson for many years now. My philosophy with tomatoes is grow sandwich sized tomatoes of good taste and heavy production on disease/heat resistant plants. I have tried Super Souix, Porter, and others with minimal success. The problem tends to be that the plants get very big without much fruit set before or after the main heat of the season. My experience has been that the bulk of my food production from tomatoes has been from varieties that are referred to as semi-determinate (tomato varieties that are determinate in size, but indeterminate in fruit production). The best tomato I have grown in this class has been the F1 Celebrity. It is very easy to come by and does very well with only a little west-side shade after the month of May. 6-12 of these plants will feed a family of 4-6 with tomato sandwiches all through the summer. (As a note I do not use shade cloth and plant my tomatoes FAR from structures such as houses or walls that radiate heat at night). Many heirloom and other open pollinated varieties of tomatoes can produce very nice foliage here in the desert but they often fail to produce any significant amount of fruit. After trialing multiple open-pollinated tomato varieties each year, the best open-pollinated variety I have ever grown that tolerates the heat has been Siletz (see the link below). This variety is parthenocarpic, so it will produce virgin fruit through the summer, then, from my experience, you will be lucky if you can get some seeds from the plant in the fall. (= Neptune is also another good variety but it is a classic determinate, meaning it produces only one crop before its demise. No matter what tomato I grow, the biggest key to growing tomatoes in a desert climate is to put them in the ground or have some kind of insulated container with a water reservoir. Once the plants are established you must wean yourself from the tendency to water every day. Gardeners who water (at most) once every 3 days have much more success than those who water every day. Though this is initially counter-intuitive, flood irrigating or watering for 2+ hours on a drip hose every 3 days enables the roots of the tomatoes to develop 18-24 inches below the surface of the ground where they are well insulated from the scorching summer heat. The main benefit from watering occasionally comes in less plant stress and consequently, much less disease and pest problems. If you are new to this area you might also note some of the considerations to growing tomatoes in the following blog post: http://scientificgardener.blogspot.com/2012/01/few-tips-for-growing-tomatoes-tucson.html Here is a link that might be useful: Siletz tomato trial
    ...See More

Has anyone else grown Park's Cherry Sweetie tomato

Q

Comments (8)
    I grew Cherry Sweetie a couple of times. I did notice that some plants were decidedly sweeter than others, but I assumed that it had something to do with my soil conditions. This year, I'm growing Sweet Million. I would say the taste is indstinguishable from CS. The only difference is that SM's are more like a standard cherry in size while my CS's were a good bit smaller. Both are very productive and yummy!
    ...See More

Has Anyone Grown Koralik Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes?

Q

Comments (7)
    I also had the same experience last summer as the gardener in Oklahoma, only I'm near Fargo, North Dakota. Despite our very short growing season, I found this "compact" tomato, which supposedly doesn't require staking or caging to be the Godzilla of the cherry tomato world. Using the square foot gardening method (pinching out the side shoots), my single Koralik plant grew rapidly up the 6-foot support and then traveled the entire length of the bed--another 8 feet! The vines produced right up until frost and were loaded down with a ridiculous number of massive clusters of the best tasting cherry tomatoes I've ever eaten. This was easily the most impressive tomato I've ever grown. However none of the descriptions found online for Koralik match the tomato I grew. So is there some other Koralik? I got mine from Lazy Ox Farm.
    ...See More
  • corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bernie, hi
    I don't bother with the frig mainly because I know I'm going to put them out the next year.
    Champion II, Margo, and Sun King I got from Linda at TGS.
    I planted all those seed out and they are all hybrids.
    The only seed I will have is what I call Everglades ( I don't think it's the same Everglades) but you are welcome to as much seed as you want as soon as I have some.

Cindeea and Tom have tons of seeds! LOL hook up with them they both have OP's that hatch true.

Bernie, I don't like SWC's LOL
    I use big old black nursery pots.

Update: about 1/2 of the seedlings are starting their real leaves today.
    and
    I'm searching for a early tomato that bears a lot of fruit really fast.

Corrie

Corrie

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

corrie id reccommend stupice and eva purple ball.

eva purple ball...A vigorous, 1800Âs heirloom tomato from the Black Forest region of Germany. Delicious, round, 2 to 3-inch, blemish-free, pink-purple fruits. A big producer for me. Purple tomatoes are generally rich in flavor and very popular among tomato gardeners. Try these tomato seeds for a new addition to your tomato garden. A good hot weather tomato variety.

Thats what it says at tomatofest about it lol.I have some started now.I have seeds for both if you need some but i wont be home for a few more days.

Stupice is the fastest to set and ripe of any i have grown

kirk

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Capt'n great to hear your comments on Eva. I thought I started only 3 seeds...I have 5 seedlings...hardy lil bugger! ha ha ha

Corrie, honey don't buy Eva Purple Ball seeds. I will send ya some...I just gotta find them in my gardening carts seed section. LOL what a mess...email me and I will send ya what ever seeds ya want. Eva Purple Ball is a vigorous plant from seed. One I am excited to try for sure. They are still in my seedling nursery so far. I tied a few up to wooden skewers this afternoon for support. We ain't havin' Shish Kabob for a while, I've used all the wooden skewers to support tomato seedling plants! lol

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

Hiya cindee, them comments about eva purple ball were strait off the tomatofest website ,the seedlings i have will be my 1st try at EPB.Everything i have read online about epb has been possitive.Ihave high hopes.

corrie green zebra is another one that seems to set well .My neighbor is still getting maters off one i gave him,they are pretty tasty maters,1st green a ever tried and i was impressed.

cindee i dont know if your planning on growqing out all 5 of your epb but if not maybe you could try mailing a seedling.Im not sure how many i have started but il look when i get home today,il be home later todat but only till monday morning,then il be back home tueday afternoon for a few days and then il have time to sens some seeds are a seedling.

kirk

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

But I want a hybrid! LOL 8-)

Thanks a million guys, let me try drinking enough coffee to see if I can better describe what I'm looking for.
    (caution: this may or may not work! LOL)

What I want to try and find is a tomato that I can use to fill in the gap between fall and spring. I've started seed for Champ, Sun King, and Margo, that's the main plants for spring into summer. But they are all a little later and should crop out around Mar/Apr.

What I'm looking for is one I can use in between whitefly season, and spring.

It needs to flower very fast, set a lot of fruit fast, low, and short on the vine/bush.
    I can keep it sprayed that long and hopefully, with cooler weather, I can keep the whiteflies at bay long enough.
    After it sets fruit, TYLCV doesn't bother already set fruit, I can stop the chemical warfare, and just let the whiteflies have the tops of the plants.
    Plus, I'm looking for a tomato that's a little bigger than Stupice, Kimberly, etc.
    Something more tennis ball size.

That make more sense? did the coffee work??
    Morning all
    Corrie

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Kirk, if you want an EPB seedling, just let me know. Since you are in FL it should travel ok.

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

morning Harlet! ;-)

I'm considering Bush Early Girl.

From what I've read this morning, it's a fast grower, small plant, produces a lot of fruit/early, and I can rip it out after that first set of fruit and get it out of the way.
    That should be about the right time line that my third set of babies would be ready to plant out.

What do you guys think??

Corrie

• imagardener2
    15 years ago

corrie
    you are so organized my head is spinning, lol.
    when you get your plan perfected for 4(?) harvests/year fill us in. that would be a plan :-)

TYLCV notes from my garden: MUCH less whitefly activity since cold weather appeared. I have only sprayed for tomato fruitworms because nothing tried has made a dent in whitefly, NOTHING (I only spray organic).

Nematodes: seen on some pulled plants. that explains why these plants didn't fruit/flourish. Switching to large pots for the winter tomato seedling planting.
    I've gotten good harvests from my fall in-ground planting but have learned from past that once nematodes find the plants that's it.
    If I didn't have so many pots I would use the post-hole method (search past posts) to plant in-ground.

corrie: keep us informed please. you are our zone 10 canary in the mine (mining for tomato gold).

DJC

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

""DJC"" I caught that the other day, and it's still making me laugh! LOL

Here's the game plan, since TYLCV has gotten so bad down here in the past 3-4 years. Even people that have never had it before on the island, have it bad this year.

August, plant seed as usual. But because I'm setting plants out before there has been any really cool/dry weather, only seed TYLCV resistant. Margo, Sun King, Champ II
    That's it, just three varieties.

Even though they are resistant to TYLCV, they will tend to poop out by Jan from something else and need to be started over.
    Jan, start the same three types of seed again. That will give me a Mar planting out date, and take them through spring and warmer weather = whiteflies again.

To fill in the gap in Jan/Feb/Mar, as I rogue plants, replace them with Bush Early Girl sometime in Dec.
    Plus the trick to BEG, is that I don't have to start from seed. Bonnie grows BEG and I can get a big jump in time by buying plants from them. I talked to them this morning and they have no problem sending them to me.
    Use the BEG to fill in any empty pots.

BEG will be cropped and can be pulled by the time those Jan seed are ready to take their place.

We'll see, if this plan works, I should have tomatoes from Oct through July.

Not a thing worked for whitefly down here either DJC, nada, nothing. We have too many woods/weeds, too many hybiscus hedges, and too much wind. I can't bomb the whole island. About the time I would spray, the wind would just blow in a whole new group of whiteflies.
    And, it only takes one!
    I'm even thinking about no-see-um netting, on a frame, like a greenhouse, too keep them out.

Corrie

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

Hiya cindee, them comments about eva purple ball were strait off the tomatofest website ,the seedlings i have will be my 1st try at EPB.Everything i have read online about epb has been possitive.Ihave high hopes.

corrie green zebra is another one that seems to set well .My neighbor is still getting maters off one i gave him,they are pretty tasty maters,1st green a ever tried and i was impressed.

cindee i dont know if your planning on growqing out all 5 of your epb but if not maybe you could try mailing a seedling.Im not sure how many i have started but il look when i get home today,il be home later todat but only till monday morning,then il be back home tueday afternoon for a few days and then il have time to sens some seeds are a seedling.

kirk

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

cindee i have seedlings for EPB started already, i just thought if corrie ws in a hurry she might want a seedling.

corrie another you might keep in mind is sophies choice,i know its not a hybrid but the 4 i have growing now are loaded with fruit.Sophies is about as early as they come and a short bushy plant.Mine are doing well in 3 gal pots.

I just got done potting my seedlings into bigger containers.goose creek,creole,carmella,florida pink,bigbeef OP version,burbank,branywine otv,rowdy red,druzba,brandy boy,rutgers,and solar fire.

kirk

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Kirk, I am trying Druzaba too, as much for it's name than anything else. I like the way it feels to say it! LOL! I started them with the EPB and they are doing nicely along with some Black From Tula too.

Corrie, you want some of my seedlings?

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rotfl you guys are too funny!

Kirk, I'm going to try SC on your suggestion. But it's too late this year for me to start seed. I'm trying to plug in a hole in my time line.
    I called Bonnie this afternoon. They are sending me Bush Early Girl on the truck this week. I can put them right out, plug the holes and my time line all at once.

Now, next year, that's a different story. Now that I feel for sure I'm going to get TYLCV, I have time to work on a better game plan.

cindeea, I would love some, but this year I would just kill them. I'm not in de-nile about getting TYLCV any more, so I need to sit down with the calendar and work out a better game plan for next year.
    What I'm trying to do right now is plug in holes (dead plants from TYLCV) with something that will crop fast, that I can yank out in a couple of months when this next set of seed is ready to plant.

next year, I promise, I will be better organized, and I'm sending you a huge care package of all the seed I will no longer be growing! ;-D

Corrie

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bonnie didn't have the Bush Early Girls ready for this week, maybe next.
    It was 48F this morning, so that worked out just fine.

Note to self:
    Self, you can't grow your favorite Husky Cherry Red any more either. They are all down with TYLCV, except the one on the other side of the yard.

Corrie

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

jeez i sure hope we dont have whiteflys up here this spring.The last 2 years i have only had problems with them in fall.I sure dont want to have to just grow tylcv resistant varieties,but if the virus keeps getting worse each year i may have no choice.

This spring and then again this fall will be my last times at growing alot of different 1st time varieties.After that i will just grow the ones that did well in spring and fall in the seasons they did well.And maybe try a couple new ones each year lol.I got a feeling alot of these i have started for spring arent going to set fruit to well here in fl.Then come fall i have about 6 heat tollerant varieties to try along with championII and bigbeef.Then over the winter in the smaller pots sophies choice and another bush type that i can carry easy to the shed when we are having the frost warnings.

kirk

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Self, you can't grow your favorite Husky Cherry Red any more either. They are all down with TYLCV, except the one on the other side of the yard.

Do you get it in your seedlings too? My potting bench and the area where the potted plants stay until I set them is almost in the front of the house, the garden is in the back. I've never had TYLCV in the small plants before I set them...sure makes me wonder if it gets in the soil.

This spring and then again this fall will be my last times at growing alot of different 1st time varieties.After that i will just grow the ones that did well in spring and fall in the seasons they did well

I'm about there, done experimenting....Beefmaster, Brandy Boy, Big Beef, and Jetsetter will be my fall and spring indeterminates. Sweet Chelsea, Sungold, Black Cherry, Dr. Carolyn and another cherry yet to be determined will round out the summer tour....

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kirk, I'm sorta in the same boat. I'm going to have to completely re-vamp my thinking because the varieties I've always grown before, I'm not going to even try to grow in the future.

Tom, I'm not seeing it on seedlings. The HCR's were put out last early fall. All the seeds I have going right now are TYLCV resistant. They will go out in about a month and a 1/2.
    It's really not in the soil, it's not a soil vector.

I'm totally through experimenting and learned my lesson. I'm not wasting time, dirt, fertilizer, sprays, etc on plants that won't make it.

Note to self:
    Talked to Bonnie this morning, they are going to grow some TYLCV resistant varieties for me in the fall. I really hate growing seed.

Corrie

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

OK guys and gals hows the tomatoes doing

corrie are your tylcv varieties holding up so far?Did you ever get the bush early girls?

So far all mine are looking great.Goose creek and brandy boy are really taking off with burbank not far behind.Solar fire is 1st to have blooms.The wallowaters seem to moderate the temps great on the hot and cold days.I have 19 plants out with about 6 more to go plus the 4 sophies choice i grew thru the winter which still have no ripe fruit.

So far no whiteflys to be seen.keeping my fingers crossed.

kirk

• flyingfish2
    15 years ago

Kirk,

Ok explain to a newbie what the heck a wallowater is??

bernie

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kirk, I would think you guys have had enough cold weather to knock your whiteflies down. Unfortunately, we don't get that. We've get just cold enough to be aggravating.
    And to stop tomatoes from ripening.

I didn't even fool with the bush early girls because of that. The plants I have are taking too long to ripen this year, so I didn't have time for the bush early girls.

I've got Margo, Sun King, and Champion II seedlings ready to go out now. I'm going to cull some of the fall plants and plant some of the new ones this weekend, and pot the rest up to hold as backups.

I'm still seeing a few whiteflies down here, and all it takes is one.

Corrie

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

flyinfish....
    53372 - Wall O' Water

Wall O'Water lets you set plants outside six full weeks earlier than you could otherwise! Water-filled plastic tubes encircle plant, collecting heat during the day and releasing it at night. Protects to 16 degrees F. Durable and self-supporting. 16" across by 17" high .They do a good jod of keeing the wind off too.I see now totally tomatoes is selling a new version called cozy coats thay are red instead of blue.

corie i have margo and sunking too.they will be back ups for my fall heat tollerant varieties.If any of these heat tolerant varieties get the virus before they have a good load of fruit set il replace them right away with the margo,sunking are championII.

I have been reading some of the old florida tomato threads on here trying to see which varieties have had success.Mostly what im looking for is decent size good tasting and just as important good fruit set as temps and humidity rise.Some that i have grown and how they did.

Rutgers...Was the best tomato my 1st fall season,it set fruit in august right along with heatwave and sunmaster.I have no idea why i havent grown it since.And i remember seeing the pics of one of are florida gardeners in clermont with nice rutgers pics,so this tomato is worth a try.

Sunmaster and heatwave both set fruit for me in the heat.Medium size fruit decent flavour,not growing them this fall either lol.Someonbe smack me please.

Stupice is a guarantee to set fruit smaller fruit taste isnt bad and gets better as temps cool.

Bigbeef hybrid has been my best all around tomato.Im trying a O.P. bigbeef this spring i got seeds from tomatofest.

ChampionII has been another good one for me.Didnt set fruit in august as well as some above but it does better than most and has tylcv resistance and taste great.

I wont mention ones that didnt do well as i have had foliage problems that may have led to poor fruit set.

kirk

• cindeea
    15 years ago

YAY, good to see you all talking tomatoes again. Thanks for reviving this Cap'n!

I was just out covering all my plants AGAIN!! Weather says the lowest inland near us should be about 36-37 but I ain't trusting them this time. Last time I did I lost a whole mess of plants. Plus, our winds have been gusting up in the 20s and the light frost cover teepees keep the tender tomato flowers and thin tomato stalks from snapping. My one yellow Galina's Cherry actually had some leaf damage from the wind today by the time I got to it. I have been picking ripe Sweet Baby Girl and Sweetie's and Dr. Carolyns for salads. Growing fruit not yet ripening are Green Zebra(cool looking fruit-thanks Susannah), Talladega, Florida 91, Earls Faux, Red Robin and Tumbling Tom. I was disappointed in the 1st Tumbling Tom I picked today(keep in mind this plant survived the last frosts-being cold-in the garage-in the house-blown over etc.) The fruit was sour and a bit mealy. This plant started fruiting last frost, so I think that may have affected it too. The most interesting I have been eating is from seeds Treefrog gave me: Sungold X Juliette X Black Cherry. The plant produces a variety of colors from sungold orange to pink to ruby and shapes from small round cherry, to grape to oval to large Cherry size. The flavors are all different too. I only have one of these growing so I am planting a few more seeds to see if they are all mixed up too. It's like a box of chocolates-you never know what yer gonna get! I have a lot of intermediate and seedling size plants doing well, also. Among them are some lovely Hawaiian Currant(from Willy), Eva Purple Ball, Pink Ping Pong, Super Sioux, Black from Tula, Health Kick, Solar Set, Druzba Red Lightening and I can't even remember all the rest. If my camera wasn't sick, I'd share some photos. If anyone going to Echo wants some plants, let me know and I will bring along. Also on another note, I am having another Fantastic Amaryllis Season...Here's Jungle Bells
    {{gwi:788829}}From Amaryllis 2008-09

and Donau
    {{gwi:375277}}From Amaryllis 2008-09

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

Hi cindee ,I forgot to mention green zebra in the post above.Make sure you wait till the yellow turns to almost chartreuse in color before eating.I gad 2 green zebras i started last year,one for me and one for the neighbor.The one i kept didnt make it but my neighbors realy put on alot of fruit ,no cracks or splitting and great taste.

cindee how is the fruit set on your green zebra ,earls faux,talladega,and florida 91.Are any of them standing out as far as fruit set.

kirk

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Nice pictures Cindee, how's the Jeannie Moragne doing?

I pulled both my Brandy Boys, two of my Big Beefs and a Beefmaster, replaced all with sets of the same two weeks ago. We're still pulling maters off the four remaining plants, one Big Beef, one Jetsetter and two Beefmasters, but they are all on their last leg and I may just pull them out this weekend, or maybe I'll just cut the vines down to the base and see what they do. Set two Indian Stripe and two Cherokee Purple three weeks ago. No TYLCV, and no whitefly problems. All in all I've had amazing production off only fifteen plants this fall, we've given away approximately 180lbs of tomatoes and eaten about 25lbs ourselves. It'll be time soon to plant some cherries for the summer so I'll start some Dr. Carolyn and Black Cherry seeds this weekend. What red cherry has anyone had luck with from June to August?

Tom

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

tom you might give stupice a try through the summer,not that i have grown it thru the summer but it sure sets alot of fruit in late august thru 1st frost.

I think il take june and july off.Dont wantr any flys hanging around when i put out fall crop,

kirk

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kirk, it was the fall crop when I got hit the hardest with whitefly. No cold weather yet.
    The early spring crop is when you will see the least amount of them, after a cold winter.

Tom, the only thing that produces for me in late June-August is the wild Homestead that I grow.
    Every thing else seems to get hit with one thing after the other and is not even worth it for me.
    But, if you start those wild types now, you will have so many of them by June, it doesn't matter.

Corrie

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Kirk, at best it's hard to trust the fruit set on most of the plants since the cold temps caused som loss in blossoms and fruit. Florida 91 seems to be a front runner though. Earl's Faux is doing pretty good, too. Zebra only has 2-3 fruit and Talledega is just now setting new fruit. I have the plants all grouped close together between 2 saw horses at the back of the boat. The boat cover is silver and radiates sun heat all around. This makes it easy to pull the cover over the planters and the boat engine.

Tom I pulled a lot of tomatoes OUT this week. Completely gave up on the Matina coming back and the Yellow Pear had had it. Others that I cut way back are puting out some nice leaves and look "toughened" and ready to fight! For summer heat I have had much success with Husky Cherry Red plants. The Yellow Pears I had last year went from September to June, then I cut them way back after the blight and they then came back and fruited again through August. Can I send you some seed of either? I have lots both from my own plants and TGS.

• imagardener2
    15 years ago

corrie
    My whiteflies have died off but I think there are a few lurking, waiting for spring, but that may be my imagination.

I just ordered your TCYLV-resistant picks: Margo, Sun King and Champion II, from tomatogrowers.com, mainly as insurance that they don't run out. I don't have any place to grow new tomatoes so they'll have to wait til next fall unless I take a chance on growing them for summer.

I've had a great fall growing season even with TCYLV and lately fungus. Before I pulled them I took cuttings from my faves: Marianna's Peace, Giant Oxheart and Big Zac.

cindee
    awesome looking amaryllis.

tom
    you must be popular to give away so many pounds of tomatoes. I am stingy and freeze my extras, only the cherries get given away.

Kirk
    I've had foliage problems too lately. Must be the wacky weather. I've been cutting it off and trying to keep the plants growing. Stupice has it bad. My bottle of spray for that is almost out so need to buy some more.

Denise

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Kirk - I'm working on finding crops to grow thru the summer, looks like it will mostly be Asian veggies and some of the Italian and Armenian stuff, but I'd like to grow some cherries if possible.

Corrie - those little currants taste great but their just teasers, nothing you could make a meal out of.

Cindee - thanks for the offer. I have TG Yellow pears but Cathy and I really like the flavor of the Dr. Carolyn's and I think Denise said she was able to grow them thru the summer. I'll try the HRCs but I didn't get the impression the plants lasted very long once the real heat sets in.

Denise - wish I had more room to store maters, even with the extra little frig in the garage we just don't have the room to freeze them, and it's fun seeing folks rant and rave over homegrown maters :-) You did say you were getting maters off the Dr. Carolyn's and Black Cherries thru the summer, didn't you?

Tom

• imagardener2
    15 years ago

Tom
    Yes Dr. Carolyn and Black Cherry were my summer tomatoes. I'm actually thinking of no tomatoes this year July thru September (horrors) just to get the whitefly to a bare minimum.

This winter Dr. Carolyn is just crazy with big ivory cherries. Black Cherry had a bad planting spot and nematodes kept it to a minimum. My bad not BC's fault.

Denise

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tom said:
    "Corrie - those little currants taste great but their just teasers, nothing you could make a meal out of. "

Tom, I'm not growing currants.

This is a wild cherry that's been growing in Homestead for decades. It's about the size of a large Santa Sweet or medium Huskey.

Corrie

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Hey Tom, My HCRs, were grown to the side and partly under the Pergola through the hotter months and did pretty good. I have grown them that way last two summers. I am afraid to admit I have not had that "not to be named" infestation you all get. I don't want to jinx my plants!!! I had it horrible when I was growing papaya-cut the tree down and swore NEVER to grow em again. My tomato loss comes more from just wilt and heat exhaustion and blight. I am glad to hear the Dr. C's do so well through summer, as I am getting a new flush of growth and leaves from that plant from your seeds, Denise. I have it under the front of the pergola so it gets more sun, but I have a screen drop down if the sun gets too intense on the pergola with the banana tree shade all frost bit.

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

hey denise i got my margo,sun king in the mail today but they sent me champion instead of championII.Guess il give them a call monday and see if they will send me the right ones.I still have a few championII seeds from a previous order.I had also ordered some jet setter seeds but they are out of them .

I got a chance to stop by and check out my plants today and the wallowaters did there job,all plants looked great.

kirk

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

hey denise i got my margo,sun king in the mail today but they sent me champion instead of championII.Guess il give them a call monday and see if they will send me the right ones.I still have a few championII seeds from a previous order.I had also ordered some jet setter seeds but they are out of them .

I got a chance to stop by and check out my plants today and the wallowaters did there job,all plants looked great.

kirk

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Denise - thanks, I'll stick with DC and BC for sure

Corrie - I HAVE to try it! I know I just ask you for some seeds recently, don't forget me!

Cindee - I'll try the HRCs thru the summer too, thanks.

Kirk - I have Jetsetter seeds from TGs if you want me to send you some. Are you going to try them for the summer? Did I miss something?

Anybody had any luck with SS 100 or Sungold in June or July?

Tom

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Update photos (I Hope) My poor camera is not that old but it is Fluxing. Seems I dropped it too many times and the memory card slot is loose. So I tried to control it today and snap these....Florida 91 is FLUSH with fruit. 3 large tomatoes to a cluster
    {{gwi:788832}}From Winter Tomatoes in Paradise

Does Talladega have Nipples??
    {{gwi:788835}}From Winter Tomatoes in Paradise

Dr. Carolyn_FULL! From flowers to small fruit to ripening fruit. This is definitely a keeper and I love their taste and crispiness! This plant is growing up through the Pergola. Puts it at about 5.5 feet!
    {{gwi:788838}}From Winter Tomatoes in Paradise

Green Zebra-CUTIE PATOOTIE FRUITIES
    {{gwi:788840}}From Winter Tomatoes in Paradise

Druzba is a nice sturdy plant...anyone else growing it?
    {{gwi:788842}}From Winter Tomatoes in Paradise

Tumbling Toms
    {{gwi:788843}}From Winter Tomatoes in Paradise

You've heard of the Village People...this is the Village O' Tomato!
    {{gwi:788844}}From Winter Tomatoes in Paradise

Front R-Health Kick, Cntr-Eva Purple Ball and
    Super Sioux, L-Sweetie
    2nd Row-Talladega w/nipples, Green Zebra, L-Druzba
    Back Wall-Black from Tula and Pink Ping Pong.
    This has become an addiction!!! lol HELP!!

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

Tom i was going to give jetsetter a try this fall with all the other heat tollerant varieties but i should be ok with out it,i have jet star and jetsonic seeds to try also.

Cindee you are queen of the 3 gallon pot,lol and you dont even fill them up all the way,i think your going to love the green zebras.You just watch how that plant sets fruit the next few weeks.Keep the pics coming cindee i like to see the progress,and yea i have one druzba growing now looking fine.One of these days il get my camera out and try to figure out how to post pics on here again.

denise have you got decent fruit from bigzac and mariannas peace? Niether one set fruit very good last spring for me but the ones i got sure were big and tasty.

kirk

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Kirk...I only have a couple 3 gal, most are 5 gal plus..OH you're looking at the old scrub bucket that holds Health Kick, are ya?? HAH Let me know how Druzba does for you. It seems to be a hardy and stocky plant. I hope it has some rich flavor to the fruit.

• imagardener2
    15 years ago

Kirk
    Big Zac was unproductive due to me, (wishfully) thinking I had no nematodes. Duh. When I dug it up they were potato size knots on the roots. I'll try BZ again in a pot next year.

Mrianna's Peace was gift seed and one plant was VERY productive but I don't think it was MP more like Bloody Butcher or it's ilk BUT it was resistant to whitefly.
    Handball size tomatoes and smaller.

The other Marianna's Peace looks like the right tomato. Less productive but big beautiful tomatoes. Planted far away from the WF invasion was very healthy also.

So now all future tomatoes are potted and I'm digging up some in the ground to rescue them from RKN (root knot nematode) and taking cuttings from ones too big to rescue.

The cuttings are tricky. Keeping them moist means fungus likes to grow. That's why I plant a lot of seeds, to replace the failures.

Cindee
    I planted Druzba a couple years ago. Very nice plant and productive. I didn't achieve the size they say it gets to,8-16 oz but liked it anyway. Druzba means "friendship".

Druzbally yours,
    Denise

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Thanks Denise, you are Druzbally mine!! Anyone else have a comment on my Talladega? is that the correct shape for green tomatoes? Or did I get something mixed up? I cannot believe I actually saw Bonnie Plants, Talledega Tomatoes at Home Depot last week!! They sure are carring more and more varieties lately.

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

cindee i dont think thats what talladega is supposed to look like,i think something got mixed up along the way.Talladega is another heat tollerant plant i should try,but not this fall im all ready booked up.

Denise your nematode problem could very well be in just one area of you yard or garden.Taking cuttings is a good idea but moving the plants might not work if they are ready have nematodes in the roots.

Denise i called TGS today about the championII seeds.My seed packets say just champion on them but the product number on my packets is the number for championII so she is supposed to get back to me and let me know whats up.Let me know what your packets look like when you get them.It took me about 3 weeks to get mine she says they are running about a week behind.She said she was sending me another pack of earls faux and championII to make it up to me.Real nice lady she is.

kirk

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Kirk-thanks, I was afraid this might NOT be Talladega. I got the seeds from the tomato forum, I think. Great guy-ContainerTed. He's in Atlanta and highly recommended I try it in SW Florida heat...dang, that was the only seed that took!! Will have to try in the fall again...I ain't taking on NO MORE TOMATO SEEDS!!! If you talked to Linda (owner) at TGS, she is one fantastic lady, very generous and takes care of her customers. Gee I wonder if they are hiring!!

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

Cindee the lady at TGS told me they had some problems with some of the new help and had taken care of it,as in let them go.

Every time i think im not going to buy more seeds there another variety i just got to try.Any of you ever try burbank yet.mine is really looking good.

kirk

• treefrog_fl
    15 years ago

Cindeea,
    My Talledega look just like yours!
    But then I did get them from you.
    Very productive and sturdy plants. And they taste pretty good too. I Kinda like the little points on their bottoms.
    The Health Kicks are unbelievably productive determinate plants. Good cooking tomato, but too dry and tough skinned for salads. But So productive! Unfortunately last week spidermites attacked the 2 plants. I've sprayed, so we'll see how they do. Still lots of fruits and flowers on them.

Tom, the 2 Indian Stripe are very sturdy, rambling plants. They're sending out side branches that keep on going, flowering and fruiting well. Getting some nice size on the fruits quickly too.

Captn, I've had Burbank fruit heavily through August til the whitefly just got too bad. It did better than any "heat tolerant" variety I've grown. Nice sturdy determinate that keeps on going. Not as tasty as many larger late season tomatoes, but very acceptable flavor and fruit size. And it does put out a lot of fruit!
    Earl's Faux is absolutely the best tomato I've tasted. Lots of agreement from friends growing it too. Large potato leaf plant, much like Brandywine.

Druzba to all,
    Treefrog

• captnkirk2112
    15 years ago

Nice to see you check in treefrog and thanks again for the seeds,i have 2 of the goosecreeks growing now from seeds you sent and one brandyboy.

Im surprised i havent read no where on this site or rthe other of anyone growing florida pink.

These huge, 2 to 3 lb fruits are a gorgeous light pink. Extremely juicy, sweet and crack free, Florida Pink out-produces most plants in our garden. With very few seeds, huge production and great flavor, it is a favorite for cooking and fresh eating. Setting fruit well in hot areas, this beautiful tomato will be a fine addition to your garden.

thats what laurel says about it.

rowdy red is another i think will do well im growing.
    Named by Gary Ibsen, the seeds of this variety came to Gary from tomato breeder, Archie Millett, who crossed his favorite tomato varieties over many years to finally produce a disease resistant tomato with intense flavor. 'Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red,' is an open-pollinated tomato (78 days to maturity). The tall, indeterminate, plant produces lots of 2-inch (6-10 oz.), deep-red, round fruits with a subtle point on it's end. Fruit has robust, 'not for sissies,' bold, tomatoey flavors, with a firm, juicy flesh, that invites snacking in the garden, cooking, canning and seed-saving. Its fruity sweetness is perfectly balanced with plenty of acidity, earthy nuances and complexity.

kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: laurells tomato plants

• fishead199
    15 years ago

I gave up on tomatoes for 2 years because of TYLCV I am
    happy to report it has not reappeared for 1.5 years. It took alot of work to find out what is was back then. It seems you guys are all to familiar with the disase.
    Where did it come from ?
    I am not the conspiracy type but I think it is quite possible some of our S. American and other NAFDA trading partners are do a little bit of ag. terrorism.
    When it comes to citrus it is like a new disease every year or so it seems. If you can knock off Fla. you can have the tomato crop and orange juice for the whole USA in the winter. I only wear my aluminum foil hat when ufo's are
    overhead.
    >

• cindeea
    15 years ago

(((TREEFROGGY))))glad to see you! It's been ages! I am happy to hear your Talladega looks like mine! I will have to email Containerted and see what he has to say. I think the pointy bottoms are cute, actually!! My Earl's Faux from you has a couple nice fruits. I have heard just good things so I am excited to have it ripen for me. I am disappointed to heat Health Kick is tough. Oh well, that's what we're here for, learn what is best.

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Tom, the 2 Indian Stripe are very sturdy, rambling plants. They're sending out side branches that keep on going, flowering and fruiting well. Getting some nice size on the fruits quickly too.

Hi Tree, where the heck you been?! I'm way behind you on the Indian Stripes, just set mine a month ago and they have not grown much due to the cool weather...only time will tell!

Tom