SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jstrees

10 days in...

jstrees
19 years ago

Just a little update:

I populated my bin 10 days ago with about 1000 "indiginous" worms picked from my compost heap. I provided them with a couple of light feedings of bread and leftover salad. I have also been putting my kitchen waste into my main outdoor pile, in one location so that I can go back later and retrieve some of this to add to the bin for food. (I am reminded of an old Saturday Night Live skit where they did a spoof of a Beefsteak Charlies commercial, done as Pre-Chewed Charlies)

I am happy to report that they seem to have settled right into their new habitat, and are happily feeding on the food provided them. During the next week I will up the food amount and report back.

Just an idea I'm trying, I have the bin set up at an angle so that the leachate will drain from the bin fairly freely.( there is a 1" hole for drainage at the far low end of the bin) I feel that this allows me to add a little more moisture to the bin. In the bucket that collects the leachate, I have put some bedding material. The bedding will soak upthe leachate, and when I am ready to add more to the bin, it will already have been inoculated with a healthy dose of microbial activity.

Comment (1)