SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbryce_gw

I think Perionyx Excavatus have taken over

sbryce_gw
14 years ago

I was on another site looking at pictures of different critters that you might find in your worm bin. Just for giggles I looked at the section on perionyx excavatus. OK, it wasn't just for giggles. It has been a long time since I have seen the distinctive banding that characterizes EFs. EFs can change their coloring, depending on what you feed them, but my worms just haven't looked right.

So, here is a partial description:

# The Perionyx excavatus lacks the alternate light & dark banding of the E. fetida.

Yup.

# The Perionyx excavatus clitellum covers segments 13-17 whereas the clitellum of the Eisenia Fetida covers segments 25-30

Well, my camera doesn't take real good close ups (or it does, but I don't) but I took a few pics and tried to count the segments. My worms' clitella start at segment 13.

# The Perionyx excavatus is considerably faster than the E. fetida.

I noticed that my worms seem a little faster than when I bought them.

# The Perionyx excavatus is much thinner than the E. fetida, thus making the P. excavatus much more difficult to use as a bait worm.

My worms seem to be a bit bigger than what I remember when I bought them. Isn't a typical EF 3 1/2 inches long? I have measured mine at 5 inches long. They don't appear to be any thinner.

Well, the clitellum nails it. I'm certain I started out with EFs, but it looks like I have PEs now.

What to do? I can start over. I can decide that I'm raising PEs now, I can get some EFs and try to keep them isolated.

I hate the thought of starting over, but I really wanted to raise EFs.

And this, BTW, could account for my unexplained die off. During the winter, as a cost saving measure, I was not heating the room where the worms are kept.

Comments (18)