SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
romandub_gw

Newbie Gardener with very basic questions

romandub
16 years ago

Hi everyone! I am very much a novice gardener (if I can even call myself a gardener at all!) I have had lots of help with my yard in Austin, but now am facing a different challenge. My husband and I built a little weekend getaway house on a small piece of land we own in Mills County, about 100 miles northwest of Austin. It's time to put in a landscape and there just aren't many landscapers out where we are, so we have to do it ourselves. So bear with me, as I ask what will sound like very dumb and basic questions. We need to put in several good sized beds in the front and on the side of the house, surrounding a patio. Because we are only out there on the weekends, we want to go "very native", if that makes sense, and plant only drought tolerant native spieces. The area we are planting used to be a hay field, but is dead now due to the construction over the past year.

My questions in no particular order:

1. We are going to bring in dirt. Should we just add dirt on top of what is already there, or should we till the old stuff and mix it up with the new dirt?

2. Can (should) we till a week or two before we actually plant? In other words, can we have the dirt delivered and do the tilling one weekend and do the planting 2-3 weekends later?

3. Because of work and travel schedules, we are limited to putting in the beds either the first weekend in March or the last weekend in March. Which is better?

4. We are not going to be putting in a sprinkler system, but were thinking of laying soaker hoses. In reading various posts on this forum, there seems to be a difference of opinion on whether those work or what type to get. Thoughts?

Many thanks for your patience and advice.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Comments (8)