SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_e

Hoping for experienced advice

Rachel.E
11 years ago

I am a brand new, two-black thumbs gardener. My kids are just now getting old enough that I have 5 minutes to myself to think every day, so I've decided to tackle trying to grow something pretty in my yard. I am hoping for some advice, help and encouragement from some of you experienced gardeners!

We live in rural Falls County, and have finally fenced around our house so the cows don't tear up our yard. I made my husband build me a good-sized bed in the full-sun corner of the yard, and I've ordered 5 antique rose bushes to plant there. I read a thread about companion plants for antique roses, but it was like those folks were speaking an entirely new language to me! Lol! Any suggestions? I am planting Mrs. B R Cant, Graham Thomas, Belinda's Dream and Ducher, and I am hoping to climb Zepherine Drouhin up the fence at the back of the bed.

I also need suggestions for what to plant around my wraparound porch. The front faces northeast and gets good morning sun and afternoon shade.

The back of the house has a severe dripline, and my husband is building a reinforced retaining wall bed (the house is on a slope from right to left). I need something hardy that gets morning shade and lots of late afternoon sun that won't get pelted to death when the rain runs off in sheets.

Right now we have ZERO plants, so the sky is the limit (well, and the budget...which isn't huge!) If you were starting from scratch, what would you do? What would you recommend for a novice who has mostly killed things in the past?

We have been working on amending our soil with composted cow manure and leaf mold (since both are plentiful here on the ranch).

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie that needs all the help she can get. :-)

rachel

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting