SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beebiz1960

Got my worms and cocoons today!!!

beebiz1960
15 years ago

Sunday night (March 8), I ordered a pound of European Nightcrawlers (Eisenia hortensis) and 3,000 European Nightcrawler cocoons from Blue Ridge Vermiculture. They have a location in North Carolina and one in California. Since I live in west Tennessee, I ordered mine from NC. They were shipped via priority mail on Monday (March 9) and arrived today (March 11)!

To say the least, I was very impressed with the speed with which they handled my order. And, I was even more impressed with the worms and the cocoons. The bag with the worms contained everything from a bunch of cocoons to adult worms that were fat as a butterball!!! As I dumped them into their new home, I even saw several that were mating. And, without counting the cocoons that were in with them, I'm sure that once all worms (from the tiniest to the biggest) were weighed, my pound of worms was a bit more than a pound. Ad all those cocoons that were in with the worms, and I got far more than I paid for!!

The cocoons were packaged in three, 1,000 count bags. Each bag appeared to have at least a full 1,000 count... and probably a bit more. Plus, each bag had a plethora of young worms that ranged in size from so small that I could barely see them (probably hatched in transit) to about 2 inches in length!! I feel reasonably sure that by the time the young worms are added to all those who will hatch from the cocoons, the 1,000 cocoon order will easily yeild between 1,000 and 1,200 worms! WOW!!! If I had known that so many young worms would have been included with the cocoons, I would have ordered 6,000 cocoons and no worms by the pound!! But, with the pound of worms, I will have some to fish with when it gets warmer!!

The owner of Blue Ridge Vermiculture is Alan Hansan. You can email him here. He is as nice of a guy as you could ever hope to meet. He will take his time talking to you about worms. And, if you have any questions, he is more than willing to answer them for you. And, his prices (which include shipping) are very reasonable!!

If I have need of worms or cocoons in the future, you can bet that Blue Ridge Vermiculture will be getting a call from me!!

Robert

Comments (7)