SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
storm18

Is an outdoor bin in Austin even possible?

Storm18
10 years ago

My spouse does not want a worm bin in the house. I purchased a wooden bin not realizing my spouse would have an issue keeping it indoors. It was my fault he had assumed the bin would be outside and I must not have been clear in my explanation.

Now, I want to make sure I can keep the worms alive outdoors with the hot Texas summers before I pick up a 1/2 pound of worms. Has anyone successfully kept a worm bin outdoors in the Austin area? I could keep them in the garage, but it will get quite hot in there also. Perhaps I could use a fan, wet cloths over the bin, etc... to help keep them cool. Any ideas if this is even doable in central Texas? We have several weeks high temps (over 100). Our yard has several shady spots, but even so I imagine it will still get quite toasty in those areas.

Our chicken coop is quite shaded and I'll use misters to keep the hens cool in the summer... but the idea of a worm bin in the chicken coop seems crazy. If the hens ever got the lid off... poor worms! I would hate to risk that. Plus, it's quite a walk to get to the coop.

Comments (17)