SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beebiz1960

Cocoons vs worms to start with, and how many per cocoon?

beebiz1960
15 years ago

Hello,

Let me begin by saying that I have enjoyed reading the posts here. And, though I don't have any worms yet, I intend to get some very soon. But, I am having trouble deciding how I want to start out. So, I was hoping that I could get some input from you all that would help me make up my mind!

I want a good sized worm for both fishing and for composting. I intend to keep my worms in a inside container (18 gallon Rubber Maid type). I don't want to have to continually fight to keep the worms from going on vacation! From what I have read on the internet, the European Nightcrawlers seem to be the best choice to fulfill my desires and needs. But, there is something about the Europeans that I would like to know.

In my research about worms, I have read that cocoons from both the Red Worm (Eisenia fetida) and the African Nightcrawler (Eudrilus eugeniae) produce between 1 and 7 babies. But, I have found little information about how many babies the European Nightcrawlers' (Eisenia hortensis) cocoon produce. As a matter of fact, I've only found one site that offered such information. According to that site, the cocoons from the European Nightcrawlers only produces 1 baby.

Can any of you offer any information at to wheter or not this is true? If it is not true, how many babies should each cocoon produce?

Finally, if given the opportunity to purchase... say... 1000 cocoons for the same price as a pound of worms (speaking mainly of the European nightcrawlers), which would you choose? And, why?

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer!!

Robert

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022