SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbararose21101

Vermicompost Tea

barbararose21101
10 years ago

I wrote Linda. Some of the studies were of WORM tea with ambiguous results. Paul, can you offer an anecdotal experiment of your own that will add to our understanding and expectations ? Same question to Chuckle/Chuckie.

Spring is here: want to design an experiment ? I have dozens of tomato seedlings. Most are determinate. I know from experience that the size they will grow to depends on how much root space they have. I can get quite a few tomatoes from this variety in a pot. A few are indeterminate: I want to taste a Brandywine that has had optimal conditions and no other hands on it. I've prepared the Brandywine a 4 x 4 bed raised with sandbags and garden sox. It will have 4 iron posts and wire all around. That's how big these get in optimum conditions. (last year's were the wrong variety !)

How would you test worm compost tea with these plants ?
Presume I'll be brewing 5# in 5 gallons 24 hours with 2 Tbsp molasses.
I can harvest 5# at a time from the Worm Inn.

(BTW on the issue of harvesting from a Worm Inn: mine is lined with a piece of mosquito netting big enough to lift the lot out all at once. I did this to keep the moisture even. I can take out 5# at any level of the bin. To "milk it" I would need a pulley. I can't reach both the bottom and the top at comfortable levels. It's heavy, even part full.)

So we can have a three-way test ? I won't do a no-supplement plant. I can do:

1. Garden Grove Booster Blend by directions;
2. Organic commercial custom tomato fertilizer by directions;
3. Worm tea by directions designed by participants in the forum.
Dilute ? Frequency ? Foliar and to roots ?

I'll take pictures. I might be able to count fruits, depends on what else is going on.

Any other suggestions ?

Paul: I am entirely sympathetic with your quarrels with Science. All the problems with science as science are with the Humans and hubris, our society that is more competitive than cooperative, and capitalism which probably breeds greed.
(tho that's a reach) I want you to know that Linda herself is doing Good in the setting she is in. I, at least, value her work and the work of others like her, even though you and I agree it is not as perfect as some would pretend.

Comments (3)