SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

Best place to get latest Encore Azalea?

lou_spicewood_tx
14 years ago

Now that one of my trees has gotten to a certain size that has provided enough shade from sun for azalea so i want to give it a try. It's only one plant for one small area by my daughter's window that is facing east with a tree providing significant shade from early-mid morning sun (there's covered back patio next to it to the south so it barely get any sun during the winter). Only a few hours of late morning sun. I already have tall border rocks set up and I'm just going to set it directly on top of the ground and throw a mixture of pine bark fines, expanded shale and some greensand around it then mulch with pine bark mulch. That's around 8 inches of mix to add.

What I really want is the lavender color from Encore Azalea that is going to come out this spring and I'm not sure if the newest one is sold everywhere like at big box stores or at few selected stores. That's my daughter's favorite color and I don't know what else to grow in that spot that won't get much sun and still produces flowers.

I am planting a lot of shantung maples so hopefully later on, I'd be able to plant more azaleas if it gets too shady. I'm aware of pH issues but it's rather easy to fix. Just simply place them directly on top of the ground and build mound around it consisting mostly pine bark fines.

Comments (5)