SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmw1_gw

need guidance on carbon/nitrogen

gmw1
14 years ago

I am only three months along, and find myself a bit confused over what constitutes carbon, and what makes up the nitrogen component of the bin.

I think it's something like this:

nitrogen: vegetable matter, kitchen waste, grass clippings, etc.

carbon: dried leaf litter, newspaper shreddings.

What would be a good ratio here? I have placed a gallon of leaf litter, and over a gallon of newspaper shreddings in two helpings since I set up my bin, and have been feeding steadily if with small increases kitchen waste to my 3 ounces + worms, on a weekly basis. I am now up to about a cup every two weeks, by the way, and I believe I have increased my squirm by half again so far. (From forty+ to over 70+).

But I have discovered the worms really like the newspaper/leaf litter, and most of it is gone, I would have expected less to have been converted to worm castings with the regular feeding. Am I not feeding enough kitchen waste? or do they just like the leaves and newspaper a whole lot?

Anyone? Would greatly appreciate anyone's suggestions on this. I don't want to add too much paper/leaves yet as I want the worms to increase, and to do this they need to find each other. Any more bedding and I am afraid it might take a week to get one end of the bin to the other!

Thanks in advance,

Gina

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County