SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kloss_gw

Few worms trying to escape

10 years ago

Hi guy, I just started worm composting two weeks ago and I followed any advice, help, document I was able to get.
Fortunately my worms are not running away, but I found some on the floor. I would say that in 10 days a found just few more than a dozen.
Often when I open the lid I see few of them around the sides of the box and few at the bottom of box (they made holes through the newspaper).
Now I don't know if the worms I found on the floor came from the top or from the bottom of the box.
I was wondering if it is a problem of moisture. Yesterday I didn't see any worm around the box's sides, but there were a bunch of them on the bottom. I checked the bedding and on top I thought that the moisture level was fine, so i was asking myself why a bunch of worms were digging into the bedding and leaving the tray from the holes on the bottom. So I check the bedding deep close to the bottom of the tray and I saw that it is dryer and the bedding is more like a light brown color.
So I sprayed some water on the newspaper that cover the tray and after some hours there were a bunch of worm on the side of the try and this morning few worms dead on the floor.
So apparently they didn't need more water. Now I am going crazy about what moisture level is good or not.
Any help?
Thanks!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living