SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
granburyflowergirl

Help! Why don't my soaker hoses last?

granburyflowergirl
14 years ago

I live in North Central Texas and I have a 4 foot planting border around the perimeter of my yard - about 300 linear feet of Roses and Thujas with fruit trees in bump outs about every 15 feet or so. I have been using soaker hoses to water this border for the last few years, but I am having to replace the soaker hoses twice a year as they spring leaks and become useless. I have tried every different brand and type of soaker hose from tape type rolls to the thick rubber ones but none seem to last. At first I thought they were breaking down from the heat so I buried them with mulch but that didn't help, I suspect birds and/or fire ants are tapping into them to get water but I don't know for sure, anyone else run into this?

I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought all the pieces to build a drip system but it added up to almost $400.00! that's enough to replace the soaker hoses for 5 years! So before I commit to the drip irrigation project, I am hoping to get some advice -I appreciate any input!

Nik

Comments (21)