SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coolbythecoast

Fertilizer in seed trays

coolbythecoast
15 years ago

I have been having excellent success in starting tomato seeds in standard 72 cell starting trays with clear covers under florescent lamps.

I make a mix of approximately 70% peat/30% perlite so it is fairly sterile though rather void of nutrients. Sprouting is near 100% and I rarely have any damping off.

But at some point plants need nutrition. The warming mat I use when weather is cold came with a teabag of worm poop. The tea didn't seem tasty so I fed it to my tomatoes.

Comes the question: When to add fertilizer and how much?

Would it be bad to add say a tablespoon of worm poop directly to the mix when it is first prepared?

If that is too soon and might burn the emerging seedling roots, should I use worm poop tea, how strong and when?

What about minerals? I read at least one post that indicated that anemic, purple sprouts really benefited from a little dilute Ironite liquid.

I have noted that my sprouts transplant best when I allow them to have significant root systems, but by that time they are light green with purple veins, just begging for fertilizer.

Recommendations?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths