SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldonut

Brandywines so persnickety?

eldonut
16 years ago

This is my 5th year of growing tomatoes. Two of the years I had Brandywines that produced in excess of 50 tomatoes per plant. The other three years they grew beautifully, put out lots of flowers that opened up, looked great for days, then one by one many of the flowers yellowed-knuckled, shriveled up and dropped off.

The years that I got great production, my garden was visited by large, black Carpenter bees who buzzed around and around pollinating to their heartÂs content. I planted two Brandywines this year on April 1st ; by May 23rd they are four feet tall, gorgeous to behold, with many flowers. Temperatures have been mild in the mid 80 degreesÂperfect for potential production. I have noticed that the Carpenter bees have visited my yard going to every flowering plant other than my tomato flowers. Breezy conditions have shaken up the flowers as well as my shaking them daily, in hopes of aiding pollination.

My Caspian Pink, Cherokee Purple and Celebrity all are setting fruit (over 25 on Celebrity), but between my two Brandywines I see only one tomato so far. Lots of flowers; little fruit. A nursery person suggested taking flowers from another plant and rubbing them on the flowers of the B-wines. No way! I donÂt mind amending the soil, planting them deep, watering them properly and babying them in every way; but I draw the line because of lack of time at this.

I love the Brandywine fruits, but if the plants donÂt respond better this year I told them that their jig is up. I wonÂt grow them anymoreÂthey have got to be the most temperamental, persnickety plants on GodÂs green earth!

Comments (24)