SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Persnickety Coneflowers....

The new coneflowers seem to be a bit of a problem to get established. My own experience with the first two I bought last year wasn't great. I bought Sunrise and Sunset, paid top dollar for them. Sunset didn't come back, Sunrise did but isn't growing at all, just sits there, our extremely wet winter could have been the problem.

This year I bought all the new ones that were available. They are still in the pots they came in. I think I'm going to pot them up in 2 gallon pots after teasing the roots apart and cutting them all back, keep them slightly shaded in a spot where I can keep an eye on them. I'm hopng this way they will form nice root systems before I plant them out this fall.

With our wet winters we've been having I think they might be susceptable to crown rot, so I plan to cover the crowns with pots to keep them a little dryer, they should get enough moisture from the sides to keep them happy.

Anybody out there got any more tips for me? From the pictures some of you have posted I've seen some real beauties. Also what do you use to fertilize them, or, do you just rely on good soil prep?

Annette

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus