SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcronin_gw

A magnet for Pipevine Swallowtails

mcronin
16 years ago

It's been a strange year for butterflies so far this year. I've spotted lots of Great Spangled Fritillaries, Silver-spotted Skippers, Anglewings, Azures, Pearl Crescents, Duskywings, Pipevine Swallowtails and Cabbage Whites. I spot an average of 2-4/day of each of the following: Zebra Swallowtails, Sulfers, Tiger Swallowtails( mostly black form), Hairstreaks, and Hackberries and an occasional Red Admiral, Red-spotted Purple, Spicebush Swallowtail, Monarch, American Lady and Painted Lady. Two unexpected observations compared to previous years in our one-acre butterfly sanctuary.

1. There are almost no yellow Tiger Swallowtails this year and we had hundreds/day each of the past 5-6 years.

2. For the first time, the BEST magnet for Pipevine Swallowtails has been the bottlebrush buckeye(Aesculus parviflora). From 11-3 on sunny days, I find 3-6 Pipevine Swallowtails on the bottlebrush buckeye any time I check. So far, the butterfly bushes and common milkweed are attracting less PVS's than the bottlebrush buckeye and I have 3x as many butterfly bushes(60) as bottlebrush buckeye(20).

mike

Comments (20)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES