SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_pease

From soil to soilless

Karen Pease
12 years ago

In order to take my container tropicals overseas, I'm going to have to bring them either bare root or soilless (customs requirement). Since I can't get a climate-controlled shipping container, and I don't think they'd enjoy 13 days in the dark on the open seas either way, all of them will have to be shipped either in our suitcases or by airmail anyway (sorry, large plants like my largest banana tree -- you're staying behind :( ). Because of the limited shipping space, I think bareroot is the way to go (wrapped in, say, wet newspaper), many plants tightly against each other, with insulation surrounding them all, and perhaps a heat pack or two inside.

Most of my plants are growing in soil in containers, ranging from 2" pots to 3 gallon containers and larger (larger = left behind :( ). So I'll have to remove the soil, and then later replant ASAP once they get to Iceland. Does anyone here have any experience and tips tips on removing the soil and bringing plants elsewhere safely, soilless, then replanting? My plants are diverse -- a huge number of coffee plants, plus mango, jaboticaba, guava, pineapple, banana, barbados cherry, kiwi, passionfruit, vanilla, cacao, tea, miracle fruit, dragon fruit, bacupari, jujube, rolinia, and a bunch of others.

Comments (4)